FurnitureCleaning

Washing Couch Pillows

Category Furniture

Can I throw couch pillows in a heavy duty washer?

Tina

Do you mean the big cushions that come on the couch or throw pillows? I have thrown my throw pillows in the washer before, then into the dryer for a few minutes to fluff them and then lay them out on our trampoline or deck to finish drying.

Renee in TN

If you mean the large cushions that came with your couch, it would depend on the fabric. If it is washable (some are not). I have put them in my own washer just to soak, not adjitate, using my hands I squeeze the water thru them and then drain the water and spin. If you adjitate (not sure of spelling) it can damage the foam. Refill to rinse and squeeze the water thru by hand again, drain and spin. You may want to air dry as rolling in the dryer can damage the edges of the cushions. I used to upholster furniture. You could have the covering removed and cleaned but I would not guarantee that it would not shrink. You take your chances. Also if you do wash, use cold water.

Some couch cushions have covers that have hidden zippers. You can remove these covers, zip them, and wash them on cold water, gentle cycle. The hard part for me was getting the covers back on the forms correctly. It might take someone to help you. But when I did get the covers back on, my sofa smelled better and looked better.

If you wash loose pillows that are stuffed, you are taking a chance of having them come apart in the washer. Maybe some of the pillows could be spot cleaned with carpet or upholstery cleaner and a damp rag.