AdviceHealth & Beauty

Sleeping Tips

What is the best way to get a good night's sleep?

Ed

Try valerian or linden tea before bedtime. The linden works especially well to relax. Both are available at health food stores, although linden may have to be special ordered.

Also, don't eat, or drink caffiene for 2-3 hrs. prior to bedtime.

Progressive muscle relaxation works too. Start with muscles in your neck and shoulders, then arms, by tensing them, holding for a moment, relaxing them, and working your way down to your feet doing the same.

Clear your mind if thoughts are keeping you awake. You can do this by focusing (concentrating) on your breathing.

Exercise! Just make sure you don't do it too close to your bedtime.

I used to be addicted to Tylenol PM's and never thought I'd be able to kick that habit, but I found that the all natural supplement called melatonin works wonders and leaves you with no morning groginess, is non-habit forming, and is inexpensive! Try it, I love it.

Use only sheets and blankets made of natural fibers like cotton. Avoid fabric dyed in bright colors - especially reds. We only use white sheets on our beds and it makes a difference.

A glass of warm milk and two calcium tablets used to help me. As my health fails, I have been put on a tranquilizer to help, but I find that Benadryl works better and I don't have morning fuzz-brain with it.

I have found that if I go to bed...clear my mind of all worries and woes....and think of pleasant thoughts...it helps...also to go from your toes through all your body slowly telling yourself that these parts are relaxing and by the time your to your head..you should be very relaxed and calm...this takes a bit of practice..but; does work....good luck..debbie

Take 1 magnesium tablet (or a calmagzinc) tablet 1 hour before bedtime.

No exciting tv after 8 pm.

------

Just a thought.

Why are you waking up?

Is it old age, diabetes problems, getting enough exercise prior to 8 PM, too much liquid after 6 pm, restroom problems...?

Too much caffeine?

My best friend can't tolerate any caffeine after the noon hour because it keeps her up at night.

Do you need a new bed?

Room too hot? Try a fan blowing the air, either on you or pointing away from you so that it just circulates the air.

Not enough protein throughout the day? This one will catch up with you so that if you mess up your eating plan on day 1, you might still be paying for it on days 2 and 3, even though you have resumed eating properly.

Place two large magnets with the NORTH side pointing toward your head on your pillow and tape them in place. You could even try one pointing toward the top of your head.

These magnets would have to be absolutely huge, something from a specialty catalogue or the innards of a commercial computer. The business office store probably won't have magnets that are powerful enough.

Try a white noise machine, if it's noises that are keeping you up.

Your body needs to be come cooler to sleep at night, so you have to dress in cool pj's and keep the room cool. Taking a warm shower right before bedtime is going to be counter productive.

Turn the alarm clock away from your pillow so that its light isn't within glancing range. Light destroys sleep, even something as small as the tiny light thrown off by an alarm clock.

If you have something on your mind, write it down before bed time so you don't have to remember to think about it.

Problems always seem worse at night. Postpone heavy duty thinking until the daylight hours.

If something is on your mind, formulate a plan to carry it through (if it's a nice thought).

Every time an unpleasant reminder pops into your head, just think of that one thought and say a small prayer. Then dismiss the thought because you have put it to bed.

Shrinks use a method whereby you visualize yourself in a car and wrap your problems and thoughts up (in your mind) in small packages and throw them out the imaginary window as you are driven down the road or flying in a rocket ship.

Taking a few milligrams of Melatonin works very well. Take it an hour before trying to go to sleep. It also helps if you wake up during the night and can't get back to sleep. It is available at most health food stores and drug stores.

Susan

Try relaxation techniques like starting at your toes and concentrating on getting them contract and then to relax, working your way up (or, starting at the head, down) the body. I find I never get past my knees! I've also tried to keep my eyes from closing, and before I realize it, I'm out. One more, imagine your most boring drive - you know, the one you have a hard time staying awake to make, and I imagine I'm making the drive, all the way from getting in the car and cranking up, to the various turns and curves along the way. Yawn!!!!!!!

Stay awake until you almost can't keep your eyes open, then go to bed and sleep 'til you wake up.

I've just returned from travelling around the world for 4 & 1/2 months. The most valuable item I took with me? Earplugs! Try them and you'd be surprised at the difference to the normal background noise you take for granted, but which interferes with relaxing and sleeping.

If your problem is actually alling sleep, a friend taught me this mediative technique. Imagine a blackboard with a white circle painted on it. Picture your hand using chalk to write the number '100' in the circle, then erase it with a blackboard eraser. Then write in '99' i nthe circle, and repeat the process until you fall asleep. I've spent many nights trying to sleep, then tried this technique when I can't, and the lowest number I've ever gone to was 19 before I ws off in la-la land! I hope it works for you.

Drinking any alcohol in the evening causes me to wake up in the wee-small hours of the morning and it's hard to get back to sleep. Caffeine after noon also causes problems, so drinking soda in the afternoon could be a cause. Melatonin doesn't work for everyone, and caused me to be awake and nervous rather than asleep. If you wake up and can't go back to sleep, it helps just to lay there peacefully and try not to think about anything. This is supposed to be almost as restful as sleeping, and it usually causes me to fall asleep anyway.

All you have to do is take 5-6 pieces of paper then draw a random shape on each and hang them above your bed and just stare at them trying to make out what they look like. Anyway to test the sleeping habits of humans do this and tell me how much it helps.