How can I organize my computer wires?

How can I organize my computer wires?

Debbie from Manchester, NH

I COMPLETELY reinforce the pipe cleaners, since that is what we use. A couple other ideas - go buy the little hooks for attaching christmas lights up (usually sticky on one side - clear or white) for getting any wires off the floor that lead along the floor - they're practically unnoticable attached to your trim and then you can vacuum without cords in the way. A very helpful thing is to write each item on a post-it and tape it to each cable (monitor power, CPU power, speakers) so when you need to move or unplug something, you not only know which wire to grab without tracing them ALL (and there are many) back to the source, but if you move things around, putting things back together is so much easier.

place them together and fasten them with a bread or baggie tie.

I love the hook idea! I'm buying some of those.

I use a long coiled telephone cord, I cut off the ends and just wrap it around the cords. I have wrapped my TV cords with one and wraped an artifical vine around that{it shows}

For identification, as soon as we purchase a new item that has a cord (printer, phone charger, etc.) I take a sticky label, write the item's name on it, and fold it onto the end of the cord near the plug. That way, you can look at the electrical strip and tell what the cord goes to.

I also label the electrical strip plugs: "Printer", "Monitor", "Phone", etc.

I use twisties or strong rubber bands to hold the excess cord.

I put those easily-taken-off hooks on the side of the actual computer tower and that's where we hang camera cords, iPod cords, etc. that don't always need to be plugged in somewhere but that need to be kept handy. Again, the excess is held together with a rubber band. (I use colorful rubber bands, b/c they look less "trailer park" than regular ones... and they make me feel happy and cheerful!)

I found a pretty good article on how to organize wires with using a combination of carabiners velcro straps and twisty ties. The nice thing about using carabiners and velcro straps is that they are easy to remove if your like me and constantly adding and removing wires. The article can be found at http://www.jonfleck.com/2008/10/11/ ... urself-cable-organization/">

I LOVE the phone cord idea! What a wonderful idea! I use the Velcro reusable ties for everything! For stuff that goes to the camera that I don't use often but need to know where they are. Hubby has a book case that I took over stocked flat box from post office (even a shoe box will work) and I used the lid to create 4 separate sections. Each section I put one cord; one for charger, one for usb and one for the actual camera, then one for the software. Then I slide it on a shelf with the box labeled on what it is. Works great for us.

Hugs and best of luck!

Photo of the wires behind a computer desk.
Organizing Computer Wires
Organizing MediaSeptember 19, 2006
Organizing Loose Wires
Organizing Loose Wires
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄