Make Your Own Sourdough

If you make homemade bread, why not try sourdough. You save lots of money on yeast (which can be expensive) and once you get the starter going, it is pretty simple.

Just mix equal warm water, strong flour and either riced potatoes (not boiling) or (better), the water from organic raisins soaked for two days (until fizzy). The mixture should be a very soft dough. Let ferment in a glass jar for 3 days and refrigerate.

Use in place of yeast when making bread. You will need to:

• allow for long proofing times (approx. 3 hours each proof)
  • refresh the starter after each use (just add more flour and warm water and let ferment overnight before refrigerating).

The results are a delicious sourdough bread, which is very inexpensive.

By Maggie

Like you I love making and eating sourdough bread. We served our Christmas soup in sourdough bowls, the little kids loved the idea and ate more.

I do mine a little different but am going to try yours for sure. I use flat beer for the riced potato or raisin water. When I started I wasn't sure what proofing meant either, maybe there are others the same, it means letting it warm to room temp so the mixture will work like yeast in your bread, at least to me that is what it means. I also was unsure how much flour and water to add. I add 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water. When I go to use the starter and a recipe calls for water make sure to use 100 to 115 degree water. For me it does make a big difference in the temp of the water, too cold or too hot will kill your starter. Also if your starter seems to be going dead you can reactivate it by adding a teaspoon of yeast or a half cup of flat beer with the 1 cup flour.

If a person isn't going to use the starter from the fridge at least once a you should dump a cup out and refresh with the 1 cup flour and 1/2 water to keep it working. If you are going to be using it every day or every other day leave it on the counter lightly covered to stay room temp. I agree if one hasn't tried sourdough they really should, makes the best toast.