Sourdough Starter Recipes

Category Sour Dough
With the right sourdough starter you too can bake this delicious bread at home. This page contains sourdough starter recipes.

My Sour Dough Starter has a very thin, runny consistency. Is that the way it should be? I thought it would be thicker. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Janet from Niagara

Answers

Go to this site. It has lot of info. Hope this helps. Good luck.

http://whatscoo  doughStarter.htm

I don't think anything is wrong with it. I have had some blow up the bag (yeasty) and others do nothing, but they all taste the same in the end.

Sometimes when your flour/water ratio is off, it is easy to have runny starter. Weighing your water and flour can help. I add a little rye flour to help thicken it up when mine gets on the liquidy side. Your starter is working just fine as long as it bubbles and makes you smile when you take a whiff of it.

I currently have two different starters going and one is much thinner than the other, but they both have that same yeasty sour smell and the breads come out fine with both so unless yours smells bad, I think it would be just fine.

I am looking for a sourdough bread recipe with a starter that is easy and fool proof. Preferably the kind with instant potato flakes. I hope someone can help.

By Karen from Clemmons, NC

Answers

Potato Flake sourdough starter and bread recipe. To make from scratch:

1 cup warm water

1/2 cup sugar
1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast
3 level Tablespoons instant potato flakes

Using a good quart canning jar, mix water, sugar, yeast, and potato flakes. Let this ferment on counter for two days.
Feed starter following ingredients. Stir well.
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
3 level tablespoons potato flakes

After feeding starter let stand on countertop for 12 hours with the lid firmly tightened. You are now ready to make bread.

Bread Recipe To make dough:
Mix starter well and remove 1 cup to make bread. Return the rest of starter to refrigerator. Keep covered. Repeat this process every 3 to 6 days. Place the one cup of starter in a large bowl and add:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn oil
1 tablespoon salt
1-1/2 cups warm water
6 cups bread flour

Mix into stiff batter (I use wooden spoon and then hands), divide into 3 lumps (if you want the smaller loaves or 2 lumps if you use the 9x5 in. loaf pans). Oil a large pan such as a broiler pan and roll each lump in oil and put in the large pan. cover lightly with saran wrap, leave on counter 12 hours.

Next step: Knead each lump on floured surface until no longer sticky to touch (not much). Put in oiled loaf pans and cover lightly with saran wrap. Let stand on counter 6 to 12 hours until risen.
Preheat oven to 350*. Bake on next to bottom rack for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and checked with a toothpick for doneness. Cool on racks in pan.

If you don't want to make bread every 3 to 6 days, you still need to feed the starter every 3 to 6 days to keep it totally alive. When you feed it always keep 1 cup of fed starter in the refrigerator to feed again. You can either give someone the excess starter or throw it out, don't let it accumulate to much. Bill

I need a recipe for sour dough starter. I had a starter that used potatoes, the dough set out for eight hours, then the rolls had to rise for about that long. I think the starter used yeast and potatoes. I have a problem getting my starter to grow. It wants to just sit there.

Mary

Answers:

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Here is the recipe that my mother-in-law gave me. I hope it works for you. It doesn't use potatoes.

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups warm water

Mix together and let stand at room temperature for two days. Stir twice a day as the mixture tends to separate. Refrigerate covered.

Feed dough when it gets to less than 2 cups, as most recipes call for 1 cup and you have to have at least 1 cup to feed.

To feed dough:

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar

When the dough is activated (bubbles), stir and return to refrigerator.

(10/26/2004)

By Darlene

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Be sure to leave your sourdough starter mix in a glass container, such as a canning jar and not in
a metal container.
(10/26/2004)

By Geri in KY

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Sour Dough Starter
Printed from http://cooks.com

• 2 c. lukewarm water
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 tbsp. sugar

First make potato water by cutting up two medium sized potatoes into cubes and boil in three cups of water until tender. Remove the potatoes and measure out 2 cups of remaining liquid. Mix the potato water, flour, and sugar into a smooth paste. Set in a warm place until starter mixture rises to double its original size.

Sour Dough Biscuits:

• 1 c. sour dough starter
  • 1 1/4 tsp. each of salt, sugar, and soda
  • 1 tbsp. shortening
  • 3-4 c. sifted flour

Place flour in large bowl, make a well in the center and add sour dough starter (above). Stir in salt, soda, and sugar and add shortening. Gradually mix in enough flour to make a stiff dough. Pinch off dough for one biscuit at a time. Form a ball and roll it in melted shortening. Crowd biscuits in a round 8 inch cake pan and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 425 degrees F until done.
(10/26/2004)

By dsbaby14

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Here is the recipe for starter I have used for years.

• 2 cups warm water
  • 1 pkg yeast
  • 2 cups flour

Put ingredients into a 4-6 quart plastic or glass container and mix well. Use wood or plastic spoon. Cover, but vent slightly. (Do not seal). Let set 6 hours or overnight in warm place, approximately 85 degrees. Dough will ferment and increase in size.

Use 1 cup for making bread and store remainder in fridge. Feed the starter weekly.
To feed starter, to at least one cup starter, add:

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 Tbsp instant dry potato
  • 1 cup warm water

Cover and let set in warm place overnight and is ready to use. Store remaining starter in fridge.

Hope this helps

Elles from AR (10/26/2004)

By Elles