Removing Odors From a Costume

How do you remove underarm odor from an article of clothing that can't be washed or dry-cleaned (a costume)?

Angel from Seattle, WA

Best Answer

I realize this answer is years later. My son is in charge of entertainment dept., dancers etc. Their costumes get very sweaty and are very elaborate so they cannot be just washed. Dry cleaning bills are very pricey for garments like this and sometimes dry cleaning damages them. The dancers swear by vodka. Spraying and just letting the item sit out in fresh air or even better the sun. I concentrate on the pits and blot with a white towel. High concentrate alcohol may also be used. The least water content the better, I found 91% alcohol at major dept store, but vodka is usually best. Cheap vodka is OK.

I have removed underarm stains with ammonia before, but I don't know if a light solution of ammonia and water sprayed on the area would work for odor. The ammonia smell will go away. Ammonia can be used to remove odors from a lot of things, like sitting a container of ammonia and water out will remove household odors. Maybe if you spritzed a little on a spot that can't be seen to see how the material will react before spraying it on the troublesome spots.

Spray it with Febreeze - It's great for that sort of problem. It can be used on all sorts of clothing that don't really neeed dry cleaning - but have to be refreshed & items that can't be dry cleaned as well. Just apply, let dry & repeat until the odor is gone.

Stinky Laundry In Washing Machine with Man Holding Nose
Removing Odors from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsOctober 1, 2006
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
Making a Batgirl Costume
Woman crouched in front of a front loading dryer smelling a shirt
Removing Odors From Clothing That Was Left in the Washer