Keeping an Iguana Out of My Vegetable Garden

I have a vegetable garden consisting of tomatoes, several peppers, egg plant, cucumbers, and honeydew. I also have an iguana that is residing in my palm trees near by. I don't want to do anything to hurt it, but it is eating up my garden before it even has a chance to bloom. I don't have a single leaf left on my plants. Is there anything I can apply to deter it from my garden?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Niurka from Margate, FL

I have never done this - but in the NE US they make deer cages for gardens out of chicken wire and the like to keep the deer from eating it all!

I wonder if dusting sulfur powder around might deter him? I know it will deter snakes. The drawback would be that you would likely smell the sulfur, too. If you don't get a good answer on here, you might check with your ag. extension service. You might also consider calling animal control--iguanas are not native, and they may be able to catch and remove him for you. You could also look for reptile rescue groups in your area--they would also likely catch/remove him for you.

My son had a tiny Iguana that grew HUGE & here's a trick that might work... Iguanas just LOVE lettuce, (it's like CANDY to them!) especially iceberg lettuce, so buy or grow some lettuce & scatter the leaves in an area where you want him to go & he'll most likely fill up on the lettuce! ... They told us NOT to feed the Iguana lettuce because they will fill up on it, then not eat anything else & the lettuce has very little nutritional value... You'd have to scatter the leaves every day...

Let me know if this works...

Second idea, Post on Crags list a "Free Iguana" note & have a nice family come & get it for their backyard!

Also, try putting some "Spinners" in your garden... You know, Pinwheels with spikes that you stick down in the ground that spin & make noise...

Definately call the Humane society to get in contact with an Iguana rescue. Iguanas are not native to Florida and that poor ig is likely malnourished. They will trap the iguana humanely and find it a home.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try all of your suggestions, and if all else fails I'll have to call animal control. Thanks:)

I live in miami...who said iguanas are not native? Not true! I have river side dwelling..second floor...trees trellising up to my apt. My garden and the dozens of iguanas never crossed paths till I planted lemon cucumbers and kale...I have basils..tomaotos..strawberry..peppers..onion..mixed greens..habernero peps...they never in an entire year came on my floor till now..and only eat the cukes and kale..barley 2wks out the seed.. :(

They are living in my Hibiscus tree and eating the leaves and flowers. I have a family of 3

Home and Garden Pest Control ReptilesJune 2, 2008
A squirrel eating a pumpkin in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Squirrels Out of a Vegetable Garden
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
🎉
🎄