Scab on a Puppy's Head

How can I treat a hard scab on the head of a Bicheon Frise puppy at home.

Thank You,
Olwyn from N.S.W. Australia

You should take your dog to the vet to be certain it's not mange. There are 2 forms of it and they can be very hard to control if the proper medication is not given. My Boston Terrier also had a scab on his head when we bought him and when we took him for his checkup, we found out the reason for the scab. Before he was better, he was much worse.

If you know the source of the scab, you can treat it with antibiotic ointment, just as you would a person. It wil eventually soften and fall off. DO NOT PICK IT, the pet may not be able to grow hair in that area again. I found this out the hard way with a Lab.

I am definate it is not Mange - She scratched her headon a banch. It has healed but the scab got caught in Her hair - I have now managed to lift it off,

bathing it with warm water with a dash of white vinegar!

I have 2 Bichons and the male is highly allergic to grass! He gets lots of scabs and I just try to put an antibiotic cream on him. So that he doesn't lick it off (or his sister doesn't) I pet him until he goes to sleep.

Mange usually doesn't scab, it makes the hair fall out in chunks. I would take it to the vet to make sure it is not a formation of a hot spot.

Pets Dogs HealthJuly 21, 2007
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
A girl with a sweaty head.
Head Sweats a Lot
Dog Shaking Head
Dog Keeps Shaking Head
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet