Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Musty Smelling Yarn

I need some help. My aunt just gave me some older yarn and it is really musty smelling. Is there and way to wash/clean it?

Thanks,
Mackenzie from Millgton, TN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cricket [201]04/27/2009

Ok, here's an idea that combines a few of these. Put each skein into a knee high nylon (you can get them really cheap at the Dollar Store), wash them using baby shampoo (don't see why that can't be done in the washer with just a little shampoo), then clip them each to the clothes line to dry in the sunshine! I have a bunch of yarn too that I've had for years and I think I"ll start doing that today!

By mary (Guest Post)06/14/2007

plain ole sunshine cannot be underrated, as part of your solution.

look for other feedback to use in conjunction. and good luck!

By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)06/13/2007

Put yarn in air tight container (plastic bag, tote, ect.) Place 2 or 3 tablespoons of fresh (dry) coffee grounds (right from can or bag) into 1 or 2 envelopes , seal envelope and put in bag with yarn. I have used this for musty clothing, material and yarn. Coffee absorbs odors.

By Barbara Grow [2]06/13/2007

Hi..I put the yarn in the bags you get onions in and tie them ...I wash in regular laundry soap but I add about a 1/4 cup of baking soda to the wash...then I put them in the dryer with a dryer sheet....good as new....I have done this many times.

By Janette (Guest Post)06/13/2007

Try storing the yarn in an airtight container with some newspaper for a while.

By Donna Bessette (Guest Post)06/13/2007

I had some musty smelling yarn, I put it in plastic bags added dryer fabric sheets , tied it up for a few days, came out smelling just fine, have used it for a afghan.

By Mary Lou [14]06/13/2007

I had that same problem with some acrylic yarn in skeins. I removed the paper bands, saving one for amounts and content as well as washing instructions for finished knitting. Put a rubber band around each skein and put skeins, a few at a time, in a couple of those nylon bags they sell for washing delicates. I got mine at the dollar store and they are large [11x15"](or use the old nylon idea in the previous post). I washed and dried them in the bags and they came out as good as new.

RE: Musty Smelling Yarn

By Mackenzie (Guest Post)06/12/2007

Thank you I will try it!!

Mackenzie - Millington TN

By tracey [15]06/12/2007

I think I read some where to hand wash your yarn with baby shampoo and lay flat to dry. I would check out diynetwork.com. I bet you could find something there about how clean it if nothing else works.

By Patricia. (Guest Post)06/12/2007

If the yarn is aryclic you can put each skein in a knee high nylon tied off and wash and dry it in the machine. If the yarn is wool I would wound it into a loose skein tie it off so it does not get tangle and hand wash. Here a website that will help http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html

Patricia