Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture

Category Leather
Mold and mildew can leave your leather furniture smelling musty. This is a guide about removing musty smell from leather furniture.

How to remove musty smell from leather furniture?

James from Friutland Park, FL

Answers

I had a cotton dress that had a musty smell. I washed the dress in some laundry detergent and added 1 cup of white vinegar.

Make a small solution of water and vinegar and wipe down the leather furniture. I bet it will take care of your problem.

Leather does not naturally harbour smells like this unless there is a mold prescence.

You need to clean it with a special cleaner called EM Clean (LTT) which kills the spores in the leather. This is important otherwise they will just keep coming back.

Leather Care Consultant

In a spray bottle mix 1/2 water to 1/2 Vodka. Spray furniture. This works better than the commercial products because there's no scent. Also works as an anti microbial. Excuse any spelling errors.

I tired to Get EM Clean around town and online. The price for this British product would have been too high, so I tried a 25% chlorine solution on a sponge. The trick is to turn the couch over and spray the same solution on the frame. It worked! My dark green couch looks perfect and smells wonderful!

My son has a very expensive untreated leather living-room suite. He put it into storage 4 months after purchasing it and now it smells of mildew and mold. I turned it all over and the frame work was covered so I washed it all off with pure white vinegar which removed it all, but the smell is still there. Could someone please help as he has just moved houses and needs to use it. He has a 2 year old and I am terrified that she may catch something. Much appreciated.

Answers

YOu could set it out in the sun or in a hot room to get rid of the smell, or you can purchase activated charcoal here: https://www.ama  2?tag=thrif06-20

activated charcoal neutralizes most smells

the worrying thing about your situation is that the smell seems to have penetrated into the fabric and guts of the couch, so it might be a lost cause

I would tell the storage company. They have insurance for situations like this. Get a new couch. Molds are health hazards.

I have had a pretty expensive leather couch and loveseat in storage for 10 years. I just got them out and they look fine, but smell horrible from mildew. I cleaned them with a leather cleaner, but the mildew smell won't go away. I really don't want to throw them away. Please, can someone give me an idea on how to restore to their original condition?

I was really stupid and did not replace the moisture absorbing products in my storage bin often enough. I really want to save my furniture. Help!

By Tracee

Answers

Distilled white vinegar. Mix 1 part water and 1 part vinegar. Turn couch and loveseat upside down and spray both really good. The smell of the vinegar will go away once its dry. If you still smell the mildew, do it again, vinegar won't hurt it. Then spray it on the leather and wipe dry. This works for smoke damage too.

How do I get rid of a mildew smell on my leather furniture?

By Juiceman

How do I get rid of a musty odor in an old green leather chair?

By Harryo from Nashua, NH