Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture

Category Leather
Mold and mildew can leave your leather furniture smelling musty. This is a guide about removing musty smell from leather furniture.

I have a leather couch someone stored in a shed. It was covered in mildew. We have removed the mildew, but the smell remains. How can I get the mildew smell out of this couch?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a product called Nok-Out that removes all kinds of odors. You can get it at Amazon.

Best Answer

The mildew has to be completely removed and that means the frame needs cleaning also. Perhaps this has been cleaned also?

• Cleaning the frame really needs to be done outside if possible by removing all cushions and turning the couch over so the frame is exposed.
  • A solution of half vinegar/half water usually works for this - brush it on and keep wiping up excess.
  • This solution is also good for removing odors.
  • Some people use alcohol but you should test an unseen area before trying any cleaning solution.
  • ThriftyFun receives a lot of similar questions so you may find some helpful answers on this link.
  • Ad

• https://www.thr  0488096.tip.html

How to remove musty smell from leather furniture?

James from Friutland Park, FL

Answers

I had a cotton dress that had a musty smell. I washed the dress in some laundry detergent and added 1 cup of white vinegar.

Make a small solution of water and vinegar and wipe down the leather furniture. I bet it will take care of your problem.

By Leather Agony Aunt (Guest Post)

Leather does not naturally harbour smells like this unless there is a mold prescence.

You need to clean it with a special cleaner called EM Clean (LTT) which kills the spores in the leather. This is important otherwise they will just keep coming back.

Leather Care Consultant

By Mizz Peller (Guest Post)

In a spray bottle mix 1/2 water to 1/2 Vodka. Spray furniture. This works better than the commercial products because there's no scent. Also works as an anti microbial. Excuse any spelling errors.

By Barbara B. (Guest Post)

I tired to Get EM Clean around town and online. The price for this British product would have been too high, so I tried a 25% chlorine solution on a sponge. The trick is to turn the couch over and spray the same solution on the frame. It worked! My dark green couch looks perfect and smells wonderful!

May I ask where I can purchase this?

Will this work for a leather sofa I bought secondhand it must have come from a damp house and its driving me mad nothing wrong with the sofa no mould etc just a damp smell help

My son has a very expensive untreated leather living-room suite. He put it into storage 4 months after purchasing it and now it smells of mildew and mold. I turned it all over and the frame work was covered so I washed it all off with pure white vinegar which removed it all, but the smell is still there.

Could someone please help as he has just moved houses and needs to use it. He has a 2 year old and I am terrified that she may catch something. Much appreciated.

Answers

You could set it out in the sun or in a hot room to get rid of the smell, or you can purchase activated charcoal, which neutralizes most smells

The worrying thing about your situation is that the smell seems to have penetrated into the fabric and guts of the couch, so it might be a lost cause.

I would tell the storage company. They have insurance for situations like this. Get a new couch. Molds are health hazards.

I have had a pretty expensive leather couch and loveseat in storage for 10 years. I just got them out and they look fine, but smell horrible from mildew. I cleaned them with a leather cleaner, but the mildew smell won't go away. I really don't want to throw them away. Please, can someone give me an idea on how to restore to their original condition?

I was really stupid and did not replace the moisture absorbing products in my storage bin often enough. I really want to save my furniture. Help!

By Tracee

Answers

Distilled white vinegar. Mix 1 part water and 1 part vinegar. Turn couch and loveseat upside down and spray both really good. The smell of the vinegar will go away once its dry. If you still smell the mildew, do it again, vinegar won't hurt it. Then spray it on the leather and wipe dry. This works for smoke damage too.

How do I get rid of a mildew smell on my leather furniture?

By Juiceman

How do I get rid of a musty odor in an old green leather chair?

By Harryo from Nashua, NH