Uses for Dog Food Bags

What are some uses for cat and dog pet food bags? I used some pet food and litter bags this week as weed blocking plastic. I just pulled the bulk of the weeds, laid down the bags (with the bottoms cut out and opened) and covered with mulch.

Do you have any other ideas for using pet food bags?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By C from USA

Best Answer

Those bags are great because they are so sturdy. I have used them in the past when pruning rose bushes-just carefully put your cuttings into the bag and they won't cut through. Can also be used for other yard and garden cuttings that are hard or can cut through regular bags. Plus they often stand up on their own.

Best Answer

I agree about using the bags for garden cleanup. Our recent rains gave me an excellent crop of weeds and I used the bags to collect them. Too bad weeds are not a cash crop, I would be rich, lol. I always use the bags to collect my dogs' droppings. I put one in a trash can and use an old broom and a long handled dust pan. It makes cleanup easy.

Pat

Best Answer

I use them in my big freezer to store food for longer periods of time, particularly when we are gone for 4 months during the winter. It adds extra protection for all my frozen foods, and I can get tons in the big 40 to 50 pound bags.

Best Answer

I use empty cat food bags to put wet cat litter in when I clean out the litter boxes. Every time I add more litter to the bag I sprinkle it with baking soda. I use the baking soda which was previously in the fridge or freezer. Reduce ~ Reuse ~ Recycle

Thank you for that idea! Can't wait to use it. In fact, I have an empty bag now, and I need to trim and do some weeding.

Whew! Desertgal, I'm glad you said it, I thought we were the only ones who recycled dog food bags collecting dog poop. Hate to admit it, but once hubby has about a third of a bag's worth, it gets packed up with the rest of the garbage on trash day. It isn't exactly lightweight (we have two 65-pounders and a mastiff.) It's a wonder the trash man hasn't gotten a hernia lifting it!

Before hubby thought of this use, though, we always used the empty 40-50-pound bags as kitchen garbage bags. Sure saved on commercially-bought kitchen bags!

Can't wait to use the pet food bags for putting used litter in! Great idea! I have some of the plastic style bags that are made of Duraweave. I love coming up with ways to use them; such as making bags, organizers etc, as they are so indestructible. The bird food bags are really pretty also and make gorgeous bags and items.

pet food bags make great raingear for dogs. I've used a simple pattern that I found on the Internet, lined the coat with flannel and finished with twill ribbon and velcro. For my fairly large yorkie I used a bag which actually said "small dog" which I was able to position on his flank.

Reusing Pet Food Bags
Reusing Pet Food Bags
Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 20, 2010
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Dog Food Bag Rug
Making a Dog Food Bag Rug
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
Craft Organizer From Dog Food Bag
Making an Organizer from Pet Food Bags
🎉
🎄