Making a Dog Food Bag Rug

Category Other
Dog Food Bag Rug
Heavy duty dog food bags are the perfect material for making a rug. This is a guide about making a dog food bag rug.

Free material to craft with is almost anywhere you look, if you look intently enough! We have a big dog and we get these empty bags all of the time.

I decided to cut one to use in crochet. It was hard work. It's not as quick and easy to cut as a grocery sack into plarn. And it's even harder to crochet! I wished after starting that I would have woven it on my loom instead.

It is part paper (on top) and part "unknown material" underneath, which lines the bag. After it's all cut (there will be a little waste), roll it in a ball until you're ready to begin. There are other ways to store it, but this is my personal favorite.

Depending on the width it's cut, determine what hook size you will use. Refer to sites such as YouTube or others to learn to crochet.

My bag was cut into one continual strip,about an inch wide. I wish I had cut it a little more narrow. It is quite strong and was very tiring to my hands. I can add to this, or I can leave it at this size and slip it under a potted plant out on the porch. I could continue with it and make a bag.

No matter what becomes of this item, it has been altered, reused, recycled, up-cycled and given a new life and a second chance!

This is great to use under a plant I am sure if it gets wet you can just wipe it off. I may have to try something like this for my outside plants. I'll make sure I take your note to heart and make my strips thinner. Thanks again!

Laura

I was a guest at a quilting group last month and several of the women had these large bags to hold their quilting supplies. After looking closer at them, I discovered they had used the 40 lb or so bird seed bags. Choosing those that had pretty bird photos on them. I guess if you were a dog lover, you could make big bags for sewing supplies or shopping from the dog food bags. They just cut large enough strips off the top to fold and sew for handle straps and then they reinforced the bottom seam to make sure it didn't come undone. They were really cute.