I.D. Theft Insurance

Be sure to have ID theft insurance. With some insurance companies you can even add it on to your homeowners policy for a small fee.

By Tina from Harrodsburg, KY

Editor's Note: There are some people that discourage buying this additional insurance, saying that it is not cost effective and not really insurance. Here's an article from Forbes.com:

"Identity theft insurance is the fastest-growing insurance product to come along in years, according to the Insurance Information Institute. But it's not really insurance and can increase the risk of becoming a victim by creating a false sense of security. Also, the apparent low cost of $25 to $60 for a policy actually isn't a good value relative to the risk."

Read More:

Tell us what you think?

Top Comment

No wonder every credit card company is trying to sell it. I have denied each time it is offered. For the most part because the credit card company was offering it, and I felt that they are always looking out for their profit, not my protection. Thanks for the article, good to know I was on the right track.

I've often considered almost every kind of insurance as an attempt to scam us all. With the exception of liability, where penalties can climb into the millions, putting the amount of our premiums in the bank and leaving it there to collect interest is insurance enough in many cases. Do the math.

Cheers,

Rose Anne