Planning an October Military Ball

I have volunteered to help plan the military ball for my husband's Army unit. The ball is going to be in October, so I was wondering what people have done for October balls. What would be a good theme for that time of year? I want to bring some really good ideas to our first meeting in a few days.

By Mrs. Creative!

Are you the one in charge of ideas? I would think this should be discussed in the group. I have found from previous experience, no matter how good I thought my ideas were nobody else in the group felt the same way. I have seen pictures that my now "ex" took at Marine Corp balls, when he was young and single and there weren't decorations, other than ones related to the Marine Corp. However, fall leaves, combined with pumpkins will always work for that time of the year, then add a few candles. I don't know what great ideas there are, if you want it to be tasteful. Otherwise there are all kinds of "cutesy" decorations available. I am assuming you want the ball to be tasteful.

Do a little research on important Army related events for that time of year. October just screams Halloween, but personally, I think something else would be more appropriate for a military ball. Oct means eight if that is any help. What does this unit do? Could that be used as a starting point for a theme for the ball? Could it celebrate unit's achievements, present and past? Hope this helps.

At Cloeelizabeth, thanks! that's actually a very smart thing to do.

At redhatterb, we have our very first meeting in a few days, and I believe that's when all volunteers are appointed to something. We were just told to be ready to make decisions and I wanted to bring up some really good ideas since I'm really in to the whole decorating thing & the pumpkin thing is cool and yes, I would rather have a tasteful ball. It just seems right because it is the Military ball!

You could do a moonlight theme. OR, you could do 'Through the Years" See if the wives or husbands can provide a picture from basic training & possibly a few more from the service time of the soldiers. Make several collages to be placed around the room. Tables can be decorated with flags from different countries where various servicemen & women have served. You could even use momentos from different bases. Name the tables after generals, or even better, name the tables after different wars. The Civil War table could have decorations from the 1800's (model canons,etc.), WW1 & WW2 tables could have model airplanes or ships from that time. Have a tribute corner for fallen soldiers.

Close up of soldier in dress uniforms gloved hand holding sheathed sword
Military Ball Theme Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties PlanningJuly 24, 2011
Child Leaving for Military
Farewell Party for Child Leaving for Military
Japanese Anemone
Flowers That Bloom in October
American Flag on White Taekwondo Uniform
Sewing Patches on Clothing
young man in camos holding a Christmas gift
Military Themed Christmas Tree