Military Ball Theme Ideas

I am with the Bryant, Arkansas AFJROTC and we are having a military ball in April. We don't really have a theme or anything of that sort. I didn't know a military ball did that kind of thing. I am in charge of the decorations and all that stuff. We are also trying to think of a trinket type thing to give out to the dignitaries and cadets. Can you please help me?

Shawna

Why not make it historical? Pick a year, say 1812, and the guests are invited to dress in the period costume. Since formal events haven't changed that much, you wouldn't need much in the way of different decoration. Maybe hang up a picture of James Madison, and get people to debate whether they would vote for Madison or DeWitt Clinton.

Get people to get into the "year".

For trinkets... small American flag lapel pins? I'm pretty sure those would work for both guys and gals.

Here's something I've done for ladies' banquets at church, but I think would work well for your occassion too.

Use 1 foot square mirror tiles on the tables. Place a bud vase off-center with flowers (silk or real) in it. Place pretty high heels 1 on each side facing different directions. Drape cheap pearl or beaded necklaces over the high heels.

Another thing I use a lot of is bridal tulle. I wad it up and twist it, run it down the center of a long table or pile it up in the center of a round table. You can place all kinds of things in the puffiness of the tulle. Be careful with candles though.

Candles give a romantic feel.Tiny twinkling Christmas lights are beautiful as long as you have a place to plug them in, and the cords are out of the way. They are also pretty wound through artificial trees. I've used the Christmas lights under tulle on a long buffet table. Ivy is useful for twining around.

Anonymous

Greeting, I'm cadet Lt Bannister at an AFJROTC unit where I currently reside as the Vice Corps Commander. As an oversight to Military Ball I can tell you that choosing a theme is challenging. I've watched my unit brainstorm for 2 months with a different theme each week. However my advice to you all is to get out of the "Military" idea. Show your unit that you are capable of creating new and different ideas. Its a military ball, they expect you to make it about the military, but spice it up and surprise them. You can look at prom themes to set up your unit's ball. Be creative and think outside the box.

Good luck and remember to dance the night away!