Cleaning a Nasty Oven

How do you get the nastiest of ovens clean? I would like to know what works best and is quickest. Thanks!

Robin from Washington, IA

Some of our tenants leave ovens in unbelieveable condition, but the following will get them clean or at least improve them enough that you can use a razor blade to scrape off the spots that remain.

Spray the oven with full strength ammonia, getting it very wet. Then use oven cleaner and close the door for several hours. If the cleaner is dry when you get ready to clean, spray it again. (Be sure to keep your head turned away because ammonia fumes are bad!) Then, you can ususally wipe out the worst of the dirt. You may have to use a putty knife and/or a razor blade scraper.

Put the shelves, oven bottom if it comes out and the burner grates (gas) or drip pans(electric) in a big plastic bag, spray them with oven cleaner and then put sopping wet with ammonia rag in there. Tie it up for several hours and they'll be fairly easy to clean, too.

This is an easy job at best, but it will work. We've never had to throw out a stove because of dirt, but we've wanted to!

Heloise; in one of her handy hints books had a very good oven cleaning method. It was very easy and not all that messy. I have a self-cleaning oven and have given the book away but you can go to Heloise`s Household Hints and ask her. I think she has a column in BetterHomes and Gardens also. I do remember it used to get my oven looking spic and span.

I'm happy that there are people who take the time to do the searching and posting for recipes, problem solving or just making our day brighter with the wonderful pictures we get here.

Robin, keep on posting!

Cleaning Your Oven
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesNovember 30, 2006
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Seasoning a Dutch Oven
🎉
🎄