Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

How do I get rid of little brown flying insects? There are millions on the outside of my house and they get in through the screens. Today when I was sitting in my car trying to figure out how to get into the house, they were all over the front and rear door, they started landing all over the car. I made it through and they were all over me and my hair. I've never seen this before.

I had my son-in-law spray all around the house last night and it made it worse, he tried to do it this afternoon and they started to attack him, so he quit.

By Lori from Chaparral, New Mexico

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By mesha [1]09/14/2011

Hello,
Do the bugs all of you are describing look a lot like tiny 'junebugs' (adult grub worm)? I have a trail of dead beetles (could be what is leaving the trail & died due to pesticides, but there are some a bit larger as well as the current invaders), dried corn (from squirrel corn dropped by squirrels outside), dry dog food (we have an inside dog, food is kept in an air-tight bin, but she always leaves a few morsels on the floor but never in closets, under fridge, stove,washer, dryer, bookshelves, along the eves of the cabinets, and finally the back corner of a closet...).

I sweep/vacuum just about everyday, lately it has been everyday and sometimes twice! I have been finding bits of straw wrappers and other small pieces of paper/wrappers a lot! Yesterday evening I swept & mopped very thoroughly. At 3pm when I came home there is little bits of string and food crumbs/flakes, bits of paper and trash, that had not been in the inside trash can for 4 days! The wrapper bit from the last granola bar I ate 5 days ago & had been put in large outer trash can!

We don't leave food out, we have all tile floors and a few area rugs as well as leather couches that have holes and grit and food and trash etc. They are 4 yrs old and ruined. We take our shoes off on porch then strait to their place in bedroom. I buy the 2nd best of the 4 hepa filters (3mo) and I replace it every month. I always touch up the caulk when and where needed.

I have a strict **no outside toys come in & no inside toys go out**. Wet bathing suits are taken off on the back porch then straight to washer, or left hanging outside to wear later. My husband is a tug captain and works a 2wk-on/1wk-off schedule so i do this all alone! A long story long, I need advise, a cure, solution, suggestions, directions, definitions, how-to's, diagnosis, and most important, info, and more info pretty please!

You can't see but I am on my knees, hands folded, begging, and crying with the whole giant alligator tears and a just a tad bit of mascara streaming down my once happy, life-lovin', baseball playing, down 'n dirty, do it yourself, 31 year old face. I have, not a day in my life been bothered by bugs and dirt and poop and now I am so uncomfortable in my own home that I take pride and work hard for.

F.Y.I. - Not ants, roaches (have only even seen two cockroaches in 10 years, both dead in the attic: son was given an x-mas ornament "cookie" I thought it was fake. I packed away and found in x-mas box the following year. 1 year later the drain pipe from the a/c pan in attic broke & 7 a/c companies & 10 a/c men later, all telling me that it stopped up because I didn't pour bleach in it every month or I'm not changing the filter, or (my favorite due to the fact that there is no leak), that it needed 8 lbs of freon because it went low, meanwhile the wood under the a/c was swelling with water. I kept all my pans up there and set my alarm even at night to change out pan.

About 6 months after I found the problem and rigged until my next opportunity to give away $165-$210. I opened the attic door and a dead one fell to the floor (3 years ago). I have been spraying 1) farm grade pest& mite Gordon's permethrin-10 >farm grade pest& mite>. Ihad mite infestation before trail appeared due to an infested bail of hay, entire acre, coop, hutches, laying boxes, feed, my house & most food was infested-2-3weeks apart.

Also everything had to be sprayed multiple times then washed the entire house-top-to-bottom, as well as burning any grass, hay, wood etc, & finally soaking the entire acre, coop, hutches, etc & treating all animals. I even had ducklings hatched in the incubator with itchy rashy looking places missing fluff, & mites got into the eggs even and we lost 18 out of 20 full term ducklings. 2) Sulfer -to repel snakes & spiders & anything else 3) malathion & 4) diatomaceous earth (wow wonderful! Kills a fly in 2 hours & can be mixed into feed for livestock, chickens, rabbits, ducks, etc).
Please if you know anything I'm at your mercy.
Thanks in advance,
Lightina Match

By Samantha06/27/2010

Expert: Swarm Of Tiny Bugs Hard To Get Rid Of
Monica Balderrama-KFOX News Reporter
Posted: 5:14 pm MDT June 23, 2010
Updated: 6:00 pm MDT June 23, 2010

EL PASO, Texas -- On Tuesday, KFOX reported on a Lower Valley resident, Yolanda Hernandez, who said her home was being invaded by tiny insects.

KFOX took a sample of the insects to an entomologist with Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension.

Dr. Salvador Vitanza said the bugs, called a false chinch bug, like moisture and you'll find them in weeds and grass. He also said they're hard to get rid of.

Hernandez suspected that already because she said she tried everything to get rid of them.

Vitanza said the bugs reproduce by the zillions. He said they stay around weeds and if those weeds are cut or dry out, the bugs will move to a different location.

"If a house is in the path of migration, they're may enter the home, but they're not going to feed on anything in the home; they're not going to harm anyone," said Vitanza.

He said calling pest control or spraying insecticide won't work. It might kill some of them, but they'll be back, which is the fear Hernandez had. But, he said, you can vacuum them up or just wait.

"The situation should die down in a few weeks. They don't last forever, usually in a couple or three weeks they should be gone," said Vitanza. Copyright 2010 by KFOXTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

By lori 06/27/2010

I want to thank everybody for all your input, I found out that the bugs are call Chinch bugs, and what a nightmare they are.

By Samantha06/25/2010

Lori, I live in Chaparral also and I am having same problem the last two days. All the sudden they are ALL over my house on Sagewood Drive. I don't know what they are and they are getting so thick and jump on you when you try to do get anywhere near them. They have gotten in my living room through a loose screen and now I can't even open my windows. I googled this and found your post. If you have found out anything please let me know and I will do the same for you. We are gonna try and fog under our house tomorrow and see what that does. This is crazy. You can email me directly at the3dunaways@aol.com

By Nan Corpe [6]06/24/2010

It sounds like fruit flies, but I never heard of them doing this. Do you have fruit trees? We have sand fleas or gnats in FL that get through the screen, and Raid Flea Spray kills them efficiently.

By metroplex [81]06/24/2010

For pity's sake! I've never heard of such a thing before. Bugs small enough to fly through your screen? I can't imagine, bless your heart.

First I'd say, because of the weirdness of your problem, would be to hire in a professional bug company. They could at least tell you what they are.

And who knows? Maybe they're from the foundation of your house or something serious.

Just FYI, I have problems with little flying things, but nothing like your problem. What I do is get a styrofoam plate that will hold 1/4"-1/2" of apple cider vinegar; so make sure that the plate has a lip on it.

Then I take lemon joy - must be lemon joy, I don't know why, but it doesn't work with anything else.
I squirt the lemon joy over the top of the vinegar; not drops but good size squirts.

I don't mix it, I just place the plate on the stoop outside my kitchen door where I like to read and where bugs like to eat me.

The first time I did this I was astonished by the number and different kinds of bugs that were in the plate that had drowned. Mostly little flying things I couldnt't identify, but also those horrible big black flies that had drowned. There were 16 varying sizes of just flies!

You might try it, but to tell you the truth, I think it would be just a band aid on a gun shot wound.

See if a professional will come out and give you a free estimate, they usually do. Then at least you can find out what they are.

Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I really don't know what kind of bugs these are, which is probably why I'm having trouble getting rid of them. They are very small and look like brown specks.

Archive: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I have tiny brown hard bodied bugs with a body and then a head attached. It has front antennae. They die underneath grates on top of kitchen stove and I've found them on front living room window sill. They must fly, because they land on me and crawl. Don't bite. I have seen them on top of refrigerator, dead. I've seen a few flying insects but don't think they're fruit flies, so they must be these brown bugs flying. Help!

By Elyag from Rochester, NY

RE: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Check your pantry! I had a similar problem with dead bugs in a windowsill directly across from my pantry. I noticed them when I was vacuuming. They were back the next week as I was again vacuuming. A few days later I found bugs in an unopened wrapped box of dog biscuits. I walked the box to the outside trash. I checked everything else in the pantry and there was nothing. No bugs since. That had happened to me about 10 years ago too, so I don't even buy dog biscuits anymore. Tracey in Jacksonville FL (03/29/2009)

By TraceyI

RE: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I agree, check the pantry. It may be a flour beetle or something similar. Good Luck (04/02/2009)

By Dutch 1962

Archive: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I too, have been having trouble with the little brown flying bugs in my house. Recently, I purchased a new refrigerator. When we removed my old one, I am embarrassed to say, that the back was full of dust and it was damp. The tray underneath looked to have green stuff growing in it. Since removing the old refrigerator, my bug problem has disappeared. We know these "beetle" type bugs like water and moisture. Make sure to look for any source that is wet.

By Cecilia from GA

RE: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Google Weevils to see a picture to identify them. These are small bugs that hatch from eggs (naturally found in flour or grains). Then get a couple boxes of baking powder and many Ziplock bags. Remove everything from your pantry or cabinets. Vacuum thoroughly and wipe clean with mild soap and water and household disinfectant to remove any eggs. Before putting anything back, spread baking powder on the shelves. It clogs their pores and prevents them from breathing. Examine every box, bag, or container in your pantry and anywhere in your house including pet food, spices (some spices have grain products in them to prevent clumping), No Salt, cereal, anything powdered etc. for any signs of entry. Throw out the product if there are any weevil entry signs (small holes) or if you are uncertain.

Any product which does not show signs of entry should be put in a Ziplock bag not only to protect it from any weevils that get overlooked (you'll find them all over the house), but also to prevent any from getting out if you don't notice a sign of entry. Don't forget your flour canister. My father's flour canister was almost mistaken for coffee, because it was completely filled with dead bug bodies. Be diligent and do this every month or couple of months until they are gone. High humidity levels in a house provide the perfect environment for the eggs to hatch. When you bring home grain products including cornmeal put it in the freezer overnight to kill any bugs and their eggs. Good luck. (05/27/2009)

By mariachamlin

RE: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Archive: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

All of a sudden I have these flying brown hard shell bugs that don't bite and are very annoying. They fly and land on me all the time. They just started showing up one day and they are in my study and only there.

They remind me a a lady bug, but 1/5 the size of them. I keep a can with a little water in there and throw them in the can when they land on me. Thanks.

By Likdoyoucare from CT

RE: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

You will find that they are a tiny woodborer (grubs). If you have had a few warm days in a row, they pupate into tiny semi circular beetles, yes like tiny ladybugs. You may find that they are coming down from the roof via an air vent, or out of a window frame or a new piece of wooden furniture. If roof, you can get at least 6 aerosol flea bombs and set them off in your roof, because you will get about 20 per day for a month, and they mate and lay more eggs, so try as I did to stop them. They make pin size borer holes. (09/20/2009)

By Ausjulie