Tiny Brown Flying Insects

How do I get rid of little brown flying insects? There are millions on the outside of my house and they get in through the screens. Today when I was sitting in my car trying to figure out how to get into the house, they were all over the front and rear door, they started landing all over the car. I made it through and they were all over me and my hair. I've never seen this before.

I had my son-in-law spray all around the house last night and it made it worse, he tried to do it this afternoon and they started to attack him, so he quit.

By Lori from Chaparral, New Mexico

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

For pity's sake! I've never heard of such a thing before. Bugs small enough to fly through your screen? I can't imagine, bless your heart.

First I'd say, because of the weirdness of your problem, would be to hire in a professional bug company. They could at least tell you what they are.

And who knows? Maybe they're from the foundation of your house or something serious.

Just FYI, I have problems with little flying things, but nothing like your problem. What I do is get a styrofoam plate that will hold 1/4"-1/2" of apple cider vinegar; so make sure that the plate has a lip on it.

Then I take lemon joy - must be lemon joy, I don't know why, but it doesn't work with anything else.

I squirt the lemon joy over the top of the vinegar; not drops but good size squirts.

I don't mix it, I just place the plate on the stoop outside my kitchen door where I like to read and where bugs like to eat me.

The first time I did this I was astonished by the number and different kinds of bugs that were in the plate that had drowned. Mostly little flying things I couldnt't identify, but also those horrible big black flies that had drowned. There were 16 varying sizes of just flies!

You might try it, but to tell you the truth, I think it would be just a band aid on a gun shot wound.

See if a professional will come out and give you a free estimate, they usually do. Then at least you can find out what they are.

Good luck.

It sounds like fruit flies, but I never heard of them doing this. Do you have fruit trees? We have sand fleas or gnats in FL that get through the screen, and Raid Flea Spray kills them efficiently.

Lori, I live in Chaparral also and I am having same problem the last two days. All the sudden they are ALL over my house on Sagewood Drive. I don't know what they are and they are getting so thick and jump on you when you try to do get anywhere near them. They have gotten in my living room through a loose screen and now I can't even open my windows. I googled this and found your post. If you have found out anything please let me know and I will do the same for you. We are gonna try and fog under our house tomorrow and see what that does. This is crazy. You can email me directly at the3dunaways@aol.com

I want to thank everybody for all your input, I found out that the bugs are call Chinch bugs, and what a nightmare they are.

Expert: Swarm Of Tiny Bugs Hard To Get Rid Of

Monica Balderrama-KFOX News Reporter

Posted: 5:14 pm MDT June 23, 2010

Updated: 6:00 pm MDT June 23, 2010

EL PASO, Texas -- On Tuesday, KFOX reported on a Lower Valley resident, Yolanda Hernandez, who said her home was being invaded by tiny insects.

KFOX took a sample of the insects to an entomologist with Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension.

Dr. Salvador Vitanza said the bugs, called a false chinch bug, like moisture and you'll find them in weeds and grass. He also said they're hard to get rid of.

Hernandez suspected that already because she said she tried everything to get rid of them.

Vitanza said the bugs reproduce by the zillions. He said they stay around weeds and if those weeds are cut or dry out, the bugs will move to a different location.

"If a house is in the path of migration, they're may enter the home, but they're not going to feed on anything in the home; they're not going to harm anyone," said Vitanza.

He said calling pest control or spraying insecticide won't work. It might kill some of them, but they'll be back, which is the fear Hernandez had. But, he said, you can vacuum them up or just wait.

"The situation should die down in a few weeks. They don't last forever, usually in a couple or three weeks they should be gone," said Vitanza. Copyright 2010 by KFOXTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hello,

Do the bugs all of you are describing look a lot like tiny 'junebugs' (adult grub worm)? I have a trail of dead beetles (could be what is leaving the trail & died due to pesticides, but there are some a bit larger as well as the current invaders), dried corn (from squirrel corn dropped by squirrels outside), dry dog food (we have an inside dog, food is kept in an air-tight bin, but she always leaves a few morsels on the floor but never in closets, under fridge, stove,washer, dryer, bookshelves, along the eves of the cabinets, and finally the back corner of a closet...).

I sweep/vacuum just about everyday, lately it has been everyday and sometimes twice! I have been finding bits of straw wrappers and other small pieces of paper/wrappers a lot! Yesterday evening I swept & mopped very thoroughly. At 3pm when I came home there is little bits of string and food crumbs/flakes, bits of paper and trash, that had not been in the inside trash can for 4 days! The wrapper bit from the last granola bar I ate 5 days ago & had been put in large outer trash can!

We don't leave food out, we have all tile floors and a few area rugs as well as leather couches that have holes and grit and food and trash etc. They are 4 yrs old and ruined. We take our shoes off on porch then strait to their place in bedroom. I buy the 2nd best of the 4 hepa filters (3mo) and I replace it every month. I always touch up the caulk when and where needed.

I have a strict **no outside toys come in & no inside toys go out**. Wet bathing suits are taken off on the back porch then straight to washer, or left hanging outside to wear later. My husband is a tug captain and works a 2wk-on/1wk-off schedule so i do this all alone! A long story long, I need advise, a cure, solution, suggestions, directions, definitions, how-to's, diagnosis, and most important, info, and more info pretty please!

You can't see but I am on my knees, hands folded, begging, and crying with the whole giant alligator tears and a just a tad bit of mascara streaming down my once happy, life-lovin', baseball playing, down 'n dirty, do it yourself, 31 year old face. I have, not a day in my life been bothered by bugs and dirt and poop and now I am so uncomfortable in my own home that I take pride and work hard for.

F.Y.I. - Not ants, roaches (have only even seen two cockroaches in 10 years, both dead in the attic: son was given an x-mas ornament "cookie" I thought it was fake. I packed away and found in x-mas box the following year. 1 year later the drain pipe from the a/c pan in attic broke & 7 a/c companies & 10 a/c men later, all telling me that it stopped up because I didn't pour bleach in it every month or I'm not changing the filter, or (my favorite due to the fact that there is no leak), that it needed 8 lbs of freon because it went low, meanwhile the wood under the a/c was swelling with water. I kept all my pans up there and set my alarm even at night to change out pan.

About 6 months after I found the problem and rigged until my next opportunity to give away $165-$210. I opened the attic door and a dead one fell to the floor (3 years ago). I have been spraying 1) farm grade pest& mite Gordon's permethrin-10 >farm grade pest& mite>. Ihad mite infestation before trail appeared due to an infested bail of hay, entire acre, coop, hutches, laying boxes, feed, my house & most food was infested-2-3weeks apart.

Also everything had to be sprayed multiple times then washed the entire house-top-to-bottom, as well as burning any grass, hay, wood etc, & finally soaking the entire acre, coop, hutches, etc & treating all animals. I even had ducklings hatched in the incubator with itchy rashy looking places missing fluff, & mites got into the eggs even and we lost 18 out of 20 full term ducklings. 2) Sulfer -to repel snakes & spiders & anything else 3) malathion & 4) diatomaceous earth (wow wonderful! Kills a fly in 2 hours & can be mixed into feed for livestock, chickens, rabbits, ducks, etc).

Please if you know anything I'm at your mercy.

Thanks in advance,

Lightina Match

Answer

All of a sudden I have these flying brown hard shell bugs that don't bite and are very annoying. They fly and land on me all the time. They just started showing up one day and they are in my study and only there.

They remind me a a lady bug, but 1/5 the size of them. I keep a can with a little water in there and throw them in the can when they land on me. Thanks.

By Likdoyoucare from CT

Answers:

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

You will find that they are a tiny woodborer (grubs). If you have had a few warm days in a row, they pupate into tiny semi circular beetles, yes like tiny ladybugs. You may find that they are coming down from the roof via an air vent, or out of a window frame or a new piece of wooden furniture. If roof, you can get at least 6 aerosol flea bombs and set them off in your roof, because you will get about 20 per day for a month, and they mate and lay more eggs, so try as I did to stop them. They make pin size borer holes. (09/20/2009)

By Ausjulie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I too, have been having trouble with the little brown flying bugs in my house. Recently, I purchased a new refrigerator. When we removed my old one, I am embarrassed to say, that the back was full of dust and it was damp. The tray underneath looked to have green stuff growing in it. Since removing the old refrigerator, my bug problem has disappeared. We know these "beetle" type bugs like water and moisture. Make sure to look for any source that is wet.

By Cecilia from GA

Answers:

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Google Weevils to see a picture to identify them. These are small bugs that hatch from eggs (naturally found in flour or grains). Then get a couple boxes of baking powder and many Ziplock bags. Remove everything from your pantry or cabinets. Vacuum thoroughly and wipe clean with mild soap and water and household disinfectant to remove any eggs. Before putting anything back, spread baking powder on the shelves. It clogs their pores and prevents them from breathing. Examine every box, bag, or container in your pantry and anywhere in your house including pet food, spices (some spices have grain products in them to prevent clumping), No Salt, cereal, anything powdered etc. for any signs of entry. Throw out the product if there are any weevil entry signs (small holes) or if you are uncertain.

Any product which does not show signs of entry should be put in a Ziplock bag not only to protect it from any weevils that get overlooked (you'll find them all over the house), but also to prevent any from getting out if you don't notice a sign of entry. Don't forget your flour canister. My father's flour canister was almost mistaken for coffee, because it was completely filled with dead bug bodies. Be diligent and do this every month or couple of months until they are gone. High humidity levels in a house provide the perfect environment for the eggs to hatch. When you bring home grain products including cornmeal put it in the freezer overnight to kill any bugs and their eggs. Good luck. (05/27/2009)

By mariachamlin

RE: Tiny Brown Flying Insects

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have tiny brown hard bodied bugs with a body and then a head attached. It has front antennae. They die underneath grates on top of kitchen stove and I've found them on front living room window sill. They must fly, because they land on me and crawl. Don't bite. I have seen them on top of refrigerator, dead. I've seen a few flying insects but don't think they're fruit flies, so they must be these brown bugs flying. Help!

By Elyag from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Check your pantry! I had a similar problem with dead bugs in a windowsill directly across from my pantry. I noticed them when I was vacuuming. They were back the next week as I was again vacuuming. A few days later I found bugs in an unopened wrapped box of dog biscuits. I walked the box to the outside trash. I checked everything else in the pantry and there was nothing. No bugs since. That had happened to me about 10 years ago too, so I don't even buy dog biscuits anymore.

Tracey in Jacksonville FL (03/29/2009)

By TraceyI

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I agree, check the pantry. It may be a flour beetle or something similar. Good Luck (04/02/2009)

By Dutch 1962

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I really don't know what kind of bugs these are, which is probably why I'm having trouble getting rid of them. They are very small and look like brown specks. They hop, fly, and sometimes when they are on a surface, I can squish them. Perhaps they are gnats, but they don't look like the gnats I'm used to seeing (gnats seemed to be more like flies, but these look like fleas).

I found them first in my son's diaper pail, but now there seem to be a few in almost every room of the house. I've tried vinegar, pouring bleach down the drains, sanitizing the diaper pail (no more dirty diapers in there, just wet ones), ant and bug spray, with no luck. We do have a dog, but I don't think they're fleas because they have wings, and I can catch them on occasion.

They don't bite, but just seem to fly around or sit on various surfaces. I really don't want to call the exterminator for something like this. Plus, with the measures I've taken (keeping the kitchen completely clean), it seems to be getting better, but I'd like them to be completely gone!

Please help. Thank you in advance.
ML from NC

Answers:

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

This time of year, late August, early September here in Nova Scotia we have tiny black flies that are called "fruit flies" lots of things ripening too fast, plus heat and humidity. I've been doing this for a few years and it has always worked!

Put 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar in a dish, cover with plastic wrap, put a few small holes (I use a fork) in the plastic. Place where the flies are bothering you and voila! They get caught and can't fly out; I empty every morning 'til mid September. Love these "old wives tales"! Some really do work. Doreen (09/06/2005)

By Streatch

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

You could try using indoor foggers also. (09/07/2005)

By Suzi homemaker

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

There is another possibility that is increasingly more possible. Research the names Sawtoothed grain beetle, tobacco beetle, cigarette beetle, drugstore beetle, foreign grain beetle. You are more likely if you are in a newer home or in an agricultural area (or formerly agricultural area) to see these types of bugs. They've also been known to be brought home in a package such as potatoes or dog snacks. Good luck. (10/15/2005)

By Brian W.

Re. Tiny brown flies

You might wanna try Dettol (a disinfectant like Lysol) if you wipe down all your surfaces with it (including the walls) then the flies will reduce in number. I had a massive problem in my flat. I could barely walk around with the number of flies that lived here when I first moved in, but unclogging the drains and pouring Dettol everywhere has stopped 98% of the problem. Now I can count the number of flies I see everyday on one hand.

Woohoo...almost there! (07/13/2006)

By shoushou

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

They sound like "Foreign Grain Beetles" - harmless to wood, fabrics, and stored food that's in good condition. Look for the source: an old forgotten bag of flour, a box of pancake mix, etc. I had an infestation originating from one of those homemade beanbags that you heat up in the microwave - it was filled with dried corn! Once you find and remove their home/breeding ground you'll notice a dramatic decrease in their population. They're harmless, but certainly annoying. Good luck! (09/05/2006)

By Jim H

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I dunno about those measures. But about getting rid of them - look for any sort of food that they can breed in. I found a container of oats that I hadn't opened yet; those bugs were swarming in it! They ate right through the paper wrapping and the tin wall of the container and made their nest right in the oats! There were spider webs and at least twenty running around under the lid. The rice container also was breeding them.

Another thing. When you find a whole crowd of them, leave quietly and come back with the vacuum cleaner, then suck the whole lot of them up. Attack them with a fly swatter and they'll fly through the holes or scatter. (01/12/2007)

By Anonymous

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Hi, the insects are actually "beetles", they are called "bread beetles" and grow in all sorts of grains...mainly packaged food stuffs. We got infected with them when we went on holidays. They breed in pantries and places were you store your packaged foods. The only way to get rid of them is to find the primary source of infestation and place the infected container ( box) in a sealed plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a week. This will kill the larvae, they breed very quickly. The female lays about 100 eggs. If you need more information do a search for bread beetles or cigarette beetles, they belong to the same family.

Check out this website:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/stored/cigarette_beetle.htm(b)(/b)
Cheers. Harry (03/04/2007)

By Harry

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I have this problem every once in awhile. They kind of look like small moths. I usually vacuum up a few moth balls and that seems to help. I figures it kills the eggs and the problem. Give it a try (03/31/2007)

By Tami

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

<p.These bugs love fruit, vegetables (especially bananas and potatoes), anything wet such as drains, wet rags, and cat litter boxes. To rid your home of these pests, get rid of all fruits and vegetables, change litter box and clean it with bleach. Pour bleach in your drains.

Then take a few small bowls, fill them 1/2 with vinegar (any kind will do) and add a few drops of dishwashing detergent (fruity smelling such as lemon or grapefruit works best). Cover these bowls tightly with plastic wrap and punch 2 or 3 small holes in the wrap (about the diameter of the end of a wire coat hanger). Set the bowls in the areas where you see the bugs. You will be amazed at how many of these bugs will collect in the bowls. Change the vinegar-soap once a day until they quit collecting bugs.This will take 2 or 3 days. If you still have bugs, then you haven't eliminated the source. Check old spices and cereal boxes. This method really works so don't give up. Good luck. (09/18/2007)

By Ugh!

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

Those bugs you are talking about must be foreign grain beetles. They are tiny enough to come through window screens and such, however they don't bite but are just pesky pests. They like damp or moldy areas, so check to make sure there's no fungus or leaky pipes. That's all I know of, they're still hard to get rid of, but just keep cleaning and checking dry foods and all. Hope it helps! (06/20/2008)

By Sejal

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I think I know where they came from in our house. We store our wood down cellar, and just recently we keep the cellar door open for the heat to come up, and at the same time, these tiny little pesty flying, brown beetle type bugs appeared. All over my counters, my floors, they love lights.

So, my husband made a trap. A bucket of warm soapy water, with a lamp over it, and that was the only light on at night, and they seem to go to, and then die in the water. I found quite a few in the water the next day. Keep doing that every night. Also, I put up sticky fly strips on the backs of my counter in a few spots, and on a beam in my kitchen where the lights are, and that trapped them very well. I haven't seen that many today. Until I just said that! Good luck. (10/22/2008)

By Diane

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

They are fungus gnats that feed of the roots of plants. I found tons of them in the bottom of a plant in my house. A way to kill them is to let the soil dry and they will fly away or die. Or if you don't care about the plant just throw it out. A way to find out if the plant has been eaten by them for a while the leaves will have become yellow.
(12/25/2008)

By Brian

Tiny Brown Flying Insects

I purchased a bag of Beneful dog food at Petco. The next day I noticed these insects all over my kitchen (I keep my 35 lb. bag in my kitchen). I looked in my dog's bowl and it was infested! I exchanged the bag of food (Petco would not refund my money) and cleaned my kitchen top to bottom. I fed my dog the new food, checked it and it looked fine.

The next day my kitchen was infested again. I put the bag outside in the trash and spent the rest of the day killing every bug I found. I switched my dog to another brand of food and put it in an airtight clear container in the garage. I haven't seen another one since! Knock on wood! (02/04/2009)

By Heather

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
bug spray
Identifying Flying Insects
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsJune 22, 2010
swarm of mosquitos
Getting Rid of Flying Insects
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 4:07:15 PM on 10.0.1.119 in 489 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.