Feeding a Child With Allergies

I have a 11 month old son who is allergic to dairy, soy, and basically anything in the legume family. He is getting ready to eat solids. Please if anyone has any recipes I would love to hear it.

By michelle t. from Fairfield, NJ

There are so many delicious things made with rice milk and coconut milk these days, you shouldn't have too much trouble looking for things to fill his tummy! You can substitute dairy in any recipe with rice milk or coconut milk (depending on the type of food - savory = rice, sweet = coconut or rice). You'll have to avoid all butter substitutes and sour cream and cream cheese substitutes as I haven't found any not made with soy. Can he tolerate milk or cheese made from goat or sheep (I can do sheep, but not goat)? Might widen your scope a bit. Look for vegan recipes for dairy free - you'd be surprised at how many are also soy free. Good luck!

My best friend's daughter has the same allergies (only worse) She buys soy milk, soy yogurt & soy ice cream in the health food store. Since your child can't have soy beans they have the same things made with rice & almonds now. (thankfully!). If it were me, I'd go to a health food co-op or health food store & ask what alternatives are available! A tip for when your little one gets older. When my friends other kids had ice cream, & she didn't have any soy ice cream she'd give her child with milk allergies frozen cool whip (as ice cream) not the healthiest thing, but it's only for once in a while as a treat. They also make a non-dairy cheese (that actually melts like real cheese!)

Can you son have Wheat, Corn, Oats & Rice? Can he have Almonds? Can he have eggs? I'll try to get back to you a bit later with some more ideas.

* You're lucky, It could be worse, my friend's daughter couldn't have Dairy, Eggs (they almost killed her) peanuts, beef, Fish, Wheat & at least 5 more things I can't remember right now! As she got older her allergies got much better. But she still can't get near eggs!

Hi Michelle! My 3-year-old son is also allergic to dairy and soy. I recently discovered an entire line of dairy-free foods made from coconut milk: ice cream, yogurt, milk, and even a new kefir! My son loves them all, as does everyone in our family. The ice cream is under the brand names Purely Decadent and So Delicious. The beverages, kefir, and yogurt are all under the So Delicious brand. These wonderful products have made life at our house a whole lot easier, and you can use the milk the same way you would use regular whole milk or soy milk.

Hi! Answering Cyinda we will find out if hes allergic to eggs, peanuts, beef etc when he turns a year thanks for writing me. Answering shelleelorayne he can not have any milk from any animal. I did go to wholefoods and found lots of different foods I didn't find cheese maybe next time & the good thing about the food I found my husband & my 2 other boys love the food so that makes my life a lot easier. thanks for your comments if anyone has anything else, please feel free.

I find the rice milks all too sweetened, and suggest oat milk slightly diluted and unsweetened. Whole foods sells it here and it can be gotten in organic form as well. Don't rely on juices other than any you make yourself, such as diluted carrot/ apple/ beet/ and grape, with added oat milk to help eliminate the acidic factors.

Most fruits are just too tart and acidic for babies but can be very diluted with filtered water , something like 1/4 cup to a quart of water, and the infant will gain the benefits.

However, when the govt. Took mercury out of vaccines they placed the glut of mercury in. Better be sitting down. High fructose corn sweetener which is almost everything we all eat and drink! Read labels carefully and refuse to buy anything that has this in it!!! In place of the mercury in vaccines the govt. Now places aluminum in the vaccines. We refuse any more vaccines because of our faith!

Not a good sign. I'd buy the best filtered water possible and dilute with plain pure fruit juice that is organic, to eliminate the pesticides.

Remember to introduce veggies to an infant in the form of cooked or fresh weakened juices for about six months first, one a month by itself to make certain the infant is not allergic. Any signs of heavy

mucous drainage, cough, temps, rashes, or hives can indicate it's the food/drink.

Forget about soy, and most other products now, they are all unsafe, unhealthy and not being treated properly by inspectors! Make your own very weak juices, only slightly flavored cool water, and you will be happy.

Also, you may find online how to make your own oat and rice "milks", but i'd not give an infant almond milk or peanut butter until age four at least.

Combinations of food and environmental allergies can bring havoc to a young child's immune system.

Keep it home made, organic and simple.. And you cannot go wrong. You can add liquid vitamins yourself and be much safer. God bless and help you. : )

http://www.delphiforums.com/

Do a search for "allergies". There is a forum for "Infants and Toddlers with allergies" that will come up. Will have a place for recipes on the forum. Good Luck.

My son was allergic to peanuts (still is), dairy (grown out of it) and wheat. He also suffers from asthma, eczema (is exacerbated by food allergies), pollen and ragweed allergies. I found it very difficult, at first, to figure out what he could and couldn't eat. Once I began reading labels and asking questions, it became much easier for me to recognize which products he could/couldn't have, and which restaurants were safe/not safe. When you go out to eat, always inquire about whether or not they use certain allergic products in their food/cooking. Even if they don't use it in the dish, your child will consume, but they use it in other dishes/products they serve, there is a high likelihood that your child can/will be cross-contaminated by the food/s. This happened to our son twice!

The simplest way to approach meals, is by cooking the same foods everyone else eats, but omitting the allergic ingredient/s. For instance, if you're cooking lasagna and you can't use eggs, simply omit the eggs. You can use a replacement if you wish, but if not, that's o.k., too. If, for instance, you're baking bread, and it calls for nuts, just leave out the nuts OR substitute something different, such as Grape Nuts cereal (near consistency of nuts), or toasted oats. If soy is an issue, steer clear of everything soy. If a recipe calls for chocolate, and your child is allergic to that, use carob powder. There are many, different ways you can substitute ingredients inexpensively, without having to purchase "special" ingredients you might not normally have on hand. Cooking this way is so much healthier, anyway. Hope this helps!

Hi! Responding to lyndagyle62, I think I just found my long lost twin. I feel the same way and most of my friends and all of my family thinks I'm crazy. I try to do all my food shopping organic and I don't do most of the vaccines. It's just such a sin that I was so careful during my pregnancy and refused certain tests and ultrasounds and now this poor baby has to deal with a number of allergies. Well it could be worse. Are you a doctor or a nutritionist?

I have a soy milk maker, but with it came with instructions on how to make milks from almost any nut or seed. I wasn't aware that you could make milks from sesame, flax, pumpkin. sunflower, etc. Just buy them organic. We like ours plain with no added sweetener.

Michelle,

You might want to consider the root cause of your child's allergies. I'm referring to toxins in his environment causing the sensitivity we see so often these days. Do some research. Start with the bedroom and making it organic/allergen free is a great place to begin, considering your child usually spends 8-10 hours a day in the bedroom. Just some food for thought. :)

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 18, 2009
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies
🎄
🍂