Musty Smell on Boots

HELP! I have just been given some faux fur lined suede boots by a friend. They are so lovely, but they have been in a cupboard that was a bit damp. It is not causing any problems to the actual boots, except they smell a bit musty. Has anyone any solution to how to make them smell a bit fresher please? Many thanks.

Monique from Somerset, UK

Baking soda might get rid of the musty odor.

Pour some baking soda into each boot then stuff the boots with newspaper. Leave in a dry place for a week. I've done this many times with musty shoes and purses -- it works!

If you can get Febreze there by you, it works miracles on musty smells and so much more.

What I did with mine was to pull the liner inside out and wash it with bleach and detergent, then let dry well, and before you wear them again, put in some new felt soles. That way you can wash those often more easily. One pair I put newspapers under the felt sole folded as thick as was comfortable and they were so nice and dry, and the newspaper adapted to my foot. Formerly from coastal Washington State, the most UK-like climate in the States. God bless you! --Kim

Thank you so much everyone - I am trying the baking powder solution then I think I will get the Febreeze as well.

I am so grateful to you for posting, I never thought of any of these solutions.

All best wishes

Monique :)

Is musty the same as mildew? I know that mildew odors can be dissipated by using vinegar. If the boots are clean, then just set a sponge soaked in vinegar, and wrung out, under the boots and put the sponge and boots in a plastic bag and tightly close for a few days.

Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Home and Garden CleaningMarch 30, 2008
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
🎄
🍂