Protect Your Identity Without Using A Shredder

Save time and money by not shredding mail. The shredder costs money and the shredding can take quite a bit of time. But I don't want anyone to be able to get bank account numbers, etc, from my trash. So here's what I do. Take a bunch of the papers and tear in a few pieces. Soak in hot water until mushy and the water is cool enough to put your hands in. Squash the "mush" and roll into a ball. Let it dry and throw into trash. In case this sounds familiar, it's the same as making papier mache. Only I squeeze it into a ball. It's easy, fast, and the info on those pages is gone!

By pam2cats from RI

Maybe you could make paper mache stuff out of the papers containing confidential information.

I've done this with personal letters before, but never thought to use it instead of shredding other papers with personal information--neat idea!

GREAT IDEA!! This gets my vote for the tip of the week :)

In preparation for a LOT of Paper Mache crafts this winter,(plan to make a complete Suit of Armor for my 8 yr. old grandson), I did my research about how to do it. It takes PASTE to stick together, otherwise it will just fall apart when dry. (Glossy paper is what is preferred for best paper mache crafts, so I have a one foot stack in a box, all from unwanted paper.)

I use ALL junk mail and unwanted opened mail

as firestarter in my firepit, which burns MUCH better than newspaper wads, and you don't have to wad it much. Then I take the accumulated ashes out about three times a year and sprinkle them around the yard and garden where undesireable garden pests

hang the most, often mixing them in water, and a tiny amt. of dish liq., splashing on areas where mold tries to grow.

As winter sets in here, we will use the accumulated free "fuel" to start our trees dead limb cuttings for warmth while we sit around the pit and converse during frost-free early evenings, with warm cocoa or hot herbal Lemon Balm tea, with extra lemon, from the garden. We don't take the useless local newspaper. Ours never has much news and we are LOW income, remember!

However, shredded paper from my few OFFICE working friends really composts well! I intend on stopping by the nearby Starbucks and asking for some coffee grounds to add, too. Hope I keep the

right soil balance. lol

God's blessings to you.