My Frugal Life: Frugal Is Fun

Who knew being frugal could be so much fun? When I talk frugal, I'm NOT talking about being the cheap friend who never picks up a lunch tab. I'm talking about ways to not spend money on things that do not bring us pleasure - paper towels. Who gets a lot of joy out of buying paper towels? Saving money on the non-joy items provides us with more money to spend on the things we truly enjoy, such as a trip with our family, a good book, a great bottle of wine.

I read a great article awhile back in which the author essentially states that "Thrift is more about knowing what you cherish, then skipping the rest." So I embarked on a year-long journey of self-discovery and learning. Self-discovery for me because prior to 2010 I had a very nice disposable income and seldom, if ever, looked at the price of anything.

Learning is about taking bits of wisdom from all sorts of people from the hard-working mommy to the professional economist. I started small, experimenting with buying store-brand items - sometimes wasting money because the item I tried to save money on was, well, crap. As I grew braver I made some real changes - cut back on our television dish bill by eliminating channels we didn't really use. I learned that the clothes drier accounts for up to 12 percent of our electrical costs each month and bought a wooden clothes rack. I read where one can cut drier sheets in half and they are just as effective. Because I had found a good sale and had a coupon, I had stocked up on sheets, which I cut in half. I have a stack a foot high. Every time I look at it I have to laugh. I will never have to buy drier sheets again.

I replaced light bulbs, turned up the thermostat and only used the car air conditioning when I really needed it. But the big step was the landline. My husband and I have had the same phone number for more than 30 years. It's odd how one can become attached to - a NUMBER?! But since we both carry cell phones and the only people who ever call us on the landline is telemarketers and my mother-in-law, well, need I say more? So I canceled it. It was a big step. But with all the big changes I've made and all the little changes I continue to make we are saving more than $400 per month. Which we have been able to use taking a nice trip to visit our grandchild. Worth every penny!

By Gretchen from Mansfield, SD

Thank you for sharing that Gretchen. You are very graceful.

"Thrift is more about knowing what you cherish, then skipping the rest." I so agree with you! I also disconnected my land line and no I do not miss it in fact my little apartment is a lot less noisy now that I do not have that intrusion. Thank you so much for sharing. May you be blessed and just love on that grandchild.

Thanks for your inspiration and getting what you inevitably wanted, time with your family. One other thrifty suggestion: although you have a mountain of dryer sheets, the coating that gets on your linens and towels makes them less absorbent and also leaves a film on your dryer filter, that after it's buildup impacts the dryer itself unless it's washed off. Please check on this. Thanks again!

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 30, 2010
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Red Hatter
Red Hat Society Club Ideas
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living