Getting Your Children to Do Homework

Setting up a routine to complete their after school studies, will help your child succeed. This guide is about getting your child to do homework.

I sat with each of my kids and, after reading homework assignments, we did the homework together. It was quality, fun time (mostly) with each child individually, and the homework got completed. This also kept me up-to-date on what they were being taught.

By Beverley from Oak Hills, CA

Thank you for sharing this. When I taught grade 2's, I hoped that all parents would do this. Usually if a little kid has homework, it is an indication that he/she needs some tutoring. Also, if you work with your children when they are in the primary grades, you will keep abreast of what they are doing, and be able to help them with their studies in the middle years and high school. I do not know how many parents (ones who had graduated from high school) I had who told me that they couldn't possibly help their kid with grade 7 math!! It was too hard! If they had helped all along, chances are their child wouldn't have needed help, and if they still did, they parents would be able to help!

My grandson begins 2nd grade this year and my daughter was getting ready for the back to school supplies when she came up with this incredible idea. She found a $2 plastic tackle type box at the local toy store. She filled it with pencils, crayons, pencil grips, scissors, stapler, tape, etc., everything you would need for homework supplies.

Now when it's homework time, there is no searching for supplies to complete it, it's all in one neat little box. It's a time saver and takes the frustration out of doing homework by being organized and having everything available.

By HerkDia from Baltimore, MD

Bravo! Anything that reduces the nightly frustration of homework gets my vote.

This is my homework center, I used magnetic paint to do a chore chart. I put window brackets and a long piece of wood to hold paper work/pictures. There is also: a toothbrush holder to hold dry erase markers, an Alka Seltzer box covered with streamers holds my pencils and pens, a dry erase board for keeping track of stars, (if they earn 15 stars, they get to pick a prize out of the prize box)

By Moonseekerjade from Onset

To control all the essentials of homework, I bought a box that holds hanging file folders (make it a cute one). I then put tabs for each of my children so I could hold spelling tests, sight words and other papers that we use year round.

My son is in 4th grade and frequently forgets to bring his homework home from school. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make him remember to make sure that he puts his homework in his backpack? Thank you.

Lena from Chicago, IL

Be sure he really is forgetting his homework. As a kid, I often "forgot" my homework. My dad got sick of hearing this excuse for not doing my assignments and gave me some homework of his own. I had to write "I will not forget my homework assignments" about a million times over(it seemed that many to me, anyhow). I never forgot my homework again!!

If I were a teacher, I would create a "buddy system" of kids, pairing the very responsible kids with those who need it the most, but having everyone participate. They can check each other's back pack at the end of the day, saving the teacher having to check the whole class. When one child is sick, the teacher can fill in for the sick child, since he or she might have to prepare work for the sick child anyway. This way, the absent minded child is helped and may develop habits that will help him or her throughout their school days. The ADHD child may need this throughout his or her school life, and it may be a stress reliever, coming from a school mate, rather than the authority figure, whom they probably hear enough from, already!

Most teachers will send you the homwork assignments via e-mail if you ask. We had this problem with our daughter and so we checked in with the teacher a lot to make sure the assignments were being done. Taking phone privlages and MP3 player worked too.

Our son however we take video games/TV away. It depends on the child as to what you can use for leverage to make them remember.

My son had the same problem. I would remind him in the morning to make sure he brought his homework home that night. Then, when I would pick him up I would ask if he had his homework. My constant reminders annoyed him but eventually he got into a habit of getting his homework.

Also, make sure you are keeping in touch with his teacher. Usually, he/she let you know what your child is missing and you two can find a solution that works.

Is your child forgetful about other things? I ask this because, like the other poster, he may be "forgetting" on purpose. I would make him go back to school and get the homework. If the distance is too great, you could have "homework" on hand that he has to do even if stuff is forgotten, such as working on memorizing multiplication facts, extra math pages, little stories to read with questions to answer, so that he learns that forgetting is not very profitable. I would not make this stuff that is punishment, like writing lines, but things that are educational, but not assigned by the school.

What sort of homework is he forgetting? Is it a daily math assignment, stories to read?? Can you phone someone else who has a child in that class and get the work? For example, if it was spelling words to study, this would work.

Is your child forgetting because he is disorganized, and doesn't put it in his bookbag right away? You could have a talk with the teacher and see if there is something she could do on her end. As a teacher, I used to INSIST that students put their math assignments DIRECTLY in their bookbags IMMEDIATELY at the end of math period. This is a big help. Of course, some kids just stuffed these in their lockers and so the books didn't get home, but these were either very careless children, or children who were deliberately not taking the work home, but only pretending to do so.

Are there organizational things you can do at home that will help your son remember, such as making him take his homework out as soon as he gets home from school. Having him put completed homework back in the bag as soon as it is done. Having him organize his school things the night before so he is ready in the morning. Training him at home to be organized will ensure that he will carry over those good habits to school.

Our kids had what was called an agenda like a calendar to write down the assignments in and they had to bring it home and have it signed by parents and then back for teacher to sign. It teaches them responsiblity and you also know assignments and if they didn't do it they would loose recess. Talk to the teacher!

He sounds just like a 4th grader. Really, both of my kids did the same thing around the 4th grade. What I did was if they brought the book home, and if my child couldn't remember what assignment they had, I would make them do all the problems on the subject. Like in math, if the assignment was for them to do problems 1-6, and my child "forgot which ones to do", then he would do all of the problems on that page and the following page. For one of my children it took two times for him to catch on. For the second child it only took 1 time for him to learn to write down his assignments. Hope this helps.

How do I get my smart 7 year old daughter to do her homework? She leaves it for the last minute and then cries when she finally has to sit down and complete it. Am I a bad parent?

By Bob S.

Everyone has different ideas about this thorny issue. My thoughts have been reached after working for many years in a school setting and having reared two children. I also tend to my grandchild and homework is a daily task.

Depending on the set-up of the household, I think it is best if the child comes in after school and has a brief rest and snack. Then, it is right to the table where the homework is reviewed and the parent is an active participant in the exercise. Please try to remain as helpful and pleasant as possible. Do not do it for her, but give calm correction as needed. I try to check myself from being too critical.

I know you are probably tired. I actually think the nightly homework is too much for the students, especially the younger set. But, I believe I am in the minority on this. I really believe that homework, especially large amounts of it, is a failed policy. I know older generations did not have as much homework as is expected today. But, just try to be as helpful as you can, and consider paying a small sum to an older child or a daily tutor to assist your daughter if your schedule does not allow you to help her.

Kindness and helpfulness will also teach her many things. My best wishes to you both.

What Sallly said. I did this with my son (now 30), and he's doing it with his son (9). My son said knowing he would have an hour break before sitting down to the homework was a great relief to him. He could watch TV, play a GameBoy game, or play, and when the hour was up he would sit at the kitchen table with his homework while I made supper. I was there if he needed me:)

He wasn't allowed to watch TV or play a video game again until after the homework was finished-correctly. It worked pretty well for us, although being a kid he would balk every now and again-usually when he was either coming down with something or facing a very difficult homework assignment.

BTW, @Sallly, I totally agree with you that kids today have way too much homework, and will go a bit further to say that from what this Gran sees, very little of that massive load is really meaningful.

I can see the point of homework, but an assignment every night in every subject is simply too much. Interestingly it seems a global trend, it's something I'm seeing here in the UK, hearing from my son in the States, and from friends in NZ, AU, and European zones. Kids all over the planet are just being swamped with tonnes of homework, a tough assignment in every subject every night including Friday.

My son says sometimes my grandson needs to spend up to an hour on each assignment, and there is frequently one he simply didn't have time or energy to finish.