Mayhaw Jelly Recipe

My mom used to make Mayhaw jelly and it was so good. It had a slight tartness to it that I never have found in any that I have purchased. My mom really didn't want to share the recipe. Would anyone happen to know how to do this? If anyone knows how to make it like this, please let me know how its done. I would be so grateful!

Nolasandy from Kenner, LA

Mayhaw Jelly

5 cups juice

7 cups sugar

1.35 oz. pectin

Heat juice and add pectin. Bring to a boil and add sugar. Bring to boil again and boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and spoon off foam. Place in jars.

Spec S.

www.mayhaw.org/recipes.html

You can locate it online & any recipe you want.

Kathleen Dothan Al

The Mayhaw tree grows in the swamps. It has a tart red berry that grows on them. The recipe that I have is:

5 cups of Mayham juice

7 1/2 cups of sugar

1.35 0z. pectin

Heat juice and add pectin. Bring to boil , add sugar and bring to boil again for 30 seconds.

Remove from heat and spoon off foam. Then place in jars.

You can also Google Mayham jelly and you'll get alot of recipes.

To make the mayhaw juice, cover about 4 cups of mayhaws with 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, boil about 15 minutes, strain through a cloth. Measure juice. If it isn't quite enough, add water to make 5 cups.

Mix Sure-Jel with juice. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Add 7 cups of sugar, all at once, bring to a boil, again. Boil one minute. Skim off foam, if necessary. Pour into sterilized jars. Wipe rims. Adjust, sterilized, 2 piece lids. Hot water bath 10 minutes. Cool on towel.

Makes about 8 jelly glasses.

What about adding a splash of cranberry juice?

I have made the jelly using these same ingredients, and it all is good but not tart. Maybe I could try adding some lemon juice or something. I am still searching for a "Tart Mayhaw Jelly Recipe". Thanks to all who answered.

Nolasandy

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyNovember 18, 2008
Homemade Jelly (Puffy Paint) Accessories
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipes
Beet Jelly
Beet Jelly Recipes
Jelly Roll
Jelly Roll Recipes
🎉
🎄