Growing and Caring for Mayhaw Trees

Category Tree Health

Growing best in wetlands, this southern, indigenous hawthorne has tart, red berries used to make jelly and jam. This guide is about growing and caring for Mayhaw trees.

I hunt deer in northeast Florida and have mayhaws growing next to a drain where I hunt. I repeatedly see that the fruit is supposed to turn to a red color yet the ones where I hunt don't seem to do this. Is there a reason for this? Are they different from the norm? Note; the fruit taste like a small apple, really no bitterness. Some of the trees have long thorns and some don't. I guess the question is, is this normal for the species?
I also intend to fertilize the trees and read that a 5-10-10 is recommended. I was thinking a 10-10-10 in lieu of the other (probably easier to get). I also read they like a neutral soil, yet today I read they like an acid soil? Which is correct? Your thoughts. Thanks

By Tom

My tree had lots of mayhaw berries, but they were covered in a rust-like powder so none were fit to make jelly. What do I do for next year's crop?

By Sandra