How to Tell if Grapes are Fresh

Food Reference Newsletter

The easiest and best way to pick the freshest grapes in your local market is to hold a bunch by the stem. Shake gently - if grapes drop off the stem, they have been in storage for too long. If the grapes are firmly attached, are plump and bright, they are fresh .

Store grapes in the coldest part of the refrigerator in a plastic bag. Wash them well before serving, but NOT before putting them in the refrigerator.

About The Author: Check out the Food Reference website and newsletter. We really enjoy it.
http://www.foodreference.com/

Also, check the stem and points where the grapes are attached. They should be green and not dry and brown.

I find that if I squeeze the grapes and they are firm then they are fresh, if soft at all, then forget it.

The way I find that keeps the grapes the freshest and the longest....I put mine in the fridge...but I rinse the grapes first and then leave them OPEN in the bowl. (They also get eaten sooner... when the kids look into the fridge and the grapes are in front of their face it is a quick easy snack to grab.) I find that by putting them in a plastic bag they seem to go bad sooner, even when they were in the fruit drawer of my fridge. I know that this goes totally opposite to the posting by Food Reference, but it works for me.

I have a food sealer, and it came with 3 clear plastic canisters. You attach a tube to the top of the canister and draw the air out and it seals it. I just finished eating some grapes that I washed and put in the vacuum canister about 2 weeks ago, and they were just as fresh tasting as the day I put them in there. I have opened it every few days and eaten some and then sealed it again. I store it if the refrigerator.

Harlean from Arkansas