Work From Home

Hello everyone! Does anyone know of any work-at-home jobs that really work? I have two small children and I stay at home caring for them. Any tips on how to make extra money from home? Thanks in advance!

By Denise

http://www.futuremt.com/

Some sites to check and get feedback from others wanting to work from their homes are wahm.com, workplacelikehome.com, ratracerebellion.com. You can go on the forums and see new listings and the requirements daily and get feedback about the company or the work from others also. I hope this helps someone. I wish they had jobs like this when my children were small. you could also sew or make things and sell them on www.etsy.com or even ebay.

Hi Denise. You might try making something that you can sell to small shop owners. For example, I make jewelry and take it to small boutiques that buy it outright from me. Look around at the shops; what are they selling, get some ideas.

Denise, what kind of skills do you have? Maybe you can convert a hobby like cooking or painting into a part-time profession. Many stay at home moms also provide childcare services at their homes to earn some money.

You can also consider medical transcription, which can be a pretty lucrative and stable home-based career. The only caveat is that you should have prior clinical experience or medical transcription training to get your foot in the door. If you're open to the idea of going back to school, then short-term, online training courses are offered by many vocational schools.

Source: http://www.careerstep.com

I am a Avon Representative and I do my business from my home. My customers come and pick up their orders from my home.

BJ from DE

September 5, 2010 Flag

I need a legitimate work from home business. I am afraid of getting ripped off with some of these scams. If anyone knows of any programs or has any ideas to share, please let me know. I am on social security and need more income to be able to make my house payment. Thank you.

By Connie from Vandalia, OH

Answers:

Work From Home

Why do you need to work from home, are you homebound or something? If you are 55 or older, go to an Experience Works! office they find non-profit businesses to train people that meet income guidelines for work. You work for about 20 hours a week and get paid for it and then they try to help you find a job off the program. Also, I have seen people in wheel chairs and elderly people that are in such poor condition they can barely walk as greeter in WalMart. (04/09/2010)

By redhatterb

Work From Home

If you have a digital camera and do crafts you can submit your craft ideas here at ThriftyFun and for every craft you submit with instructions that ThriftyFun accepts to post they will pay you $15.00. And you could also submit photos, tips, and recipes for the weekly contests and if they are accepted for posting in the contest and you receive enough "thumbs up" for that week to win in a category you would receive $25.00.

You could also put the word out that you could pet sit. I have a retired neighbor who pet sits for another neighbor. The pet owner brings cute little Sadie over to the retired neighbor's house each morning and picks Sadie up after each work day. All my retired neighbor has to do is walk Sadie to potty three times during the day, make sure she has water, feed her once (the owner supplies the food) and give and receive lots and lots of cuddles. They even nap together on the sofa ;-)

Being that you mention you have a mortgage to pay perhaps you could rent a room or two out and consider including the extra utility cost when calculating what to charge?

I know Ohio is one of the hardest hit states for employment right now, and the Dayton area is definitely not a very large city so competition is even more difficult and especially with social security age or possible disability to find work outside the home, but maybe you could try calling small offices near your home to see if maybe they need some help answering phones or doing some typing or filing just a couple/few hours a week?

Start with calling your doctor or dentist office and go from there. Even if they don't need help maybe they could help you find something? I know you have to keep the cost of travel/gasoline feasible, and whether you are even able to drive in mind, but if doing just a few hours of work a week outside the home would help you.

redhatterb, Experience Works is most likely not available in Connie's area according to this "Experience Works" map:

experienceworks.org (04/12/2010)

By Deeli

Work From Home

There is one work-at-home company I can personally vouch for: Edoc Marketing. I supplement hubby's and my SS with the B2B marketing calls I make.
You may never get rich doing what I do, but if you speak well and can get past the rare "bad apple" (extremely rude person) you'll get on the phone. Look us up. edocmarketing.com. Be aware, the weekly pay they quote isn't quite realistic, at least in my experience, but this is a highly ethical company overall. There's an online application if you're interested. Hope I've been of some help. (04/15/2010)

By JustPlainJo

April 9, 2010 Flag

Work From Home
I am looking for a no or low startup cost work from home legitimate opportunity. I work full time, but recently purchased a home and the costs are more than I had anticipated. I need an additional $600 + per month. Any suggestions?

Jacqueline B. from Grand Rapids, MI

Answers:

Work From Home

Check out:thriftyfun.com - Legitimate Work at Home Jobs

Good luck. (09/19/2008)

By Ace

Work From Home

I do Cha Cha; do a search on them. What happens is someone needs info they call Cha Cha and a clearing house sends the questions to you, at home. You get the answer and send the answer via text back to the person; things like address or phone # of business, or movie times, weather report, etc. You get paid by the call. chacha.com (09/19/2008)

Work From Home

I am an Independent Demonstrator for Gold Canyon. We have candles and candle accessories, body care products, home accessories, all natural cleaning products, room sprays, and much more, in over 100 scents. These products are easy to sell, as they are "the World's Finest". And this is a family business that also donates to the Child Prayer foundation to help families with medical expenses for children. For September only, you can sign up and earn your kit for free. For more info check out my site, and contact me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.
www.mygccandle.com/jzsgr8scents (09/20/2008)

By jmz2005

Work From Home

How about taking in a disabled person? A friend took in the most wonderful retarded man every weekend. He was so happy go lucky, everyone loved him. (09/20/2008)

By mulberry204

Work From Home

I have been working from home now for 6 years. I love what I do, because it's very flexible and I get to meet people all over the US and Canada, even though I'm working from home. The Company I work with has been in business for 23 years and also is risk free. If you would like to know more, please check out my website. www.moms4wellness.com (09/21/2008)

By Cyndi

Work From Home

Right now selling anything is pretty tough. If you don't have money to buy extras like Avon or Pampered Chef, chances are that other people won't either. I'm also from Michigan, so I definitely feel the strain of finances around here.

Lately, after being one of the many "downsized" in this state, I decided to take all the skills I accumulated in office life and "sell" them in freelance fashion. Right now I use Guru.com (www.guru.com). It is free to join. You create a profile and then bid on projects that employers post. Some employers are just looking for a one time project, some are looking for long-term help.

I will tell you that there is competition out there, but if you have marketable skills, you can find projects on Guru. You write a proposal, name your price, and you may or may not get picked. It took me several tries writing a good proposal for the right job. Now I work a few hours each week for a small business in another state. I work when it's convenient for me during the day, so you would be able to work around your regular job.

There are other comparable sites like Odesk.com and Elance.com, but Guru has worked best for me.

Good luck. (09/21/2008)

By GalFriday08

Work From Home

Would tutoring from your home be of interest? If so these sites might be helpful. www.successfultutor.com and www.becomeareadingtutor.com (09/29/2008)

By Melanie

Work From Home

I did a yard sale this year around the end of September it lasted for 3 days on the weekend. I made over $400.00 on items I didn't even want anymore. I also put clothes in a school PTO only kids clothing consignment sale, they gave me 60% and they pocketed 40% of the sales. They sold the items, I didn't have to do much but, tag the clothes with the prices and put my name on them. I made $73.00 from this.

I also put my son old toys, he wasn't playing with any longer, it was a toy sale, another PTO fundraiser, it was the same as the clothing sale, I made $50.00, all of this extra income around us, ladies. I hope this was helpful, so start being aware of the schools special events posted on their lawns and sometimes sent home by your child from other schools, in your area, I bet this is going on in some of your communities. Good luck, and God bless! (10/19/2008)

By Angie R

Work From Home

I distribute for a company that specializes in weight loss and health products. The business can be done totally online. There are no startup costs. The company provides an online website for you. You simply join an "Autoship" program where you receive as little as one product a month for as little as $30. I can't promise you a set income, however, if you put in 2 hours a day, 5 days a week just talking to friends you have met online you can see a good income develop quickly.

The other benefit is the products. I started taking the weight-loss plus and have lost 12lbs. It is a MLM company and you have to build you business, but there is a lot of support to help you grow. I am building a retirement income that will be more than my regular salary. If you are interested in more information with no obligation whatsoever, please visit my website. The link to it is http://freelhn.info

Steve B. (10/23/2008)

By skybird

Work From Home

I've tried many network marketing opps and yes there are some great legitimate companies in the mix of the popular scams out there, you'll just have to do your "homework". I am no longer with a network marketing company. I also agree with the other poster and can't emphasize enough how important it is to find your passion, especially if you are not great in the "motivation" department.

Finally, I found mine and I'm able to reap 100% of the profit. That is making beaded jewelry, it all started as a hobby and then people really started getting impressed and liking my work. So, I thought why not start selling, especially in "this" economy.

As far as the wide competition, it never frightens me in the least bit. Most people I've encountered seem to first "buy" my attitude or my character before they ever seem to take interest in what I have to show or sell. In other words if one can market themselves the "sky is the limit". (11/05/2008)

By Guest

Work From Home

Be really careful about all of these companies that sell products, and promise you how much you can earn. There was a coworker that was promoting a cleanse/wt loss regime, but he was like the second person that got started in recruiting people to sell, right under the owner/founder. He was bragging about how much he earned every week, the commission checks he was getting. Well he was getting that much because he had over 1000 people under him selling it, and he was making a percentage of what they and their recruits sold. (09/19/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Work From Home

If you are in any way crafty like me, one thing I started doing just as a hobby was making homemade soy candles and oatmeal soaps. Both processes are very simple, using a double boiler. For my candles, I shop yard sales, flea markets to find cheap candle jars, then fill them. For my soaps, I buy, melt, and pour oatmeal base available on eBay and your choice of candy mold which can be found at any craft store.

My initial cost was about $100 including the soy wax, the soap base, and the fragrances, etc. My profit was close to $300. It was a few hours of work and my house smelled wonderful. I am still doing this and I now sell my candles and soaps at several gift shops and I also set up a very small corner in my den as a display for when friends, family, or neighbors stop by and they always buy something. (09/24/2009)

By crownfairy

September 19, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

October 9, 2006 Flag
A woman working from home.
Finding Legitimate Work From Home Jobs
Budget & Finance Making Money Work From HomeSeptember 5, 2010
Man Working at Home
Rural Work at Home Ideas
Childproofing a Home Office
Childproofing a Home Office
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Woman Working Call Center
Finding Part-time Work
🎉
🎄