Keeping Cats Off of Cars

I am in need of information on how to keep cats off of cars.

Vickiech from Belton, SC

I'll be watching this topic. When my son was in high school, he had the ultimate car and we had cats. He would be livid to wake up and see a cat on his precious car. He set the alarm to very sensitive so it would go off it a cat jumped on it, but that only annoyed ME. He stalked the cats with a water gun, then with the water hose. He would cover the car and that just made it cozier for them. He finally found homes for the cats that were his to begin with.

The stray cats that came around had a very rude awakening with a paint ball gun. At the distance he shot, it would seldom burst the paint ball, just sort of punch them a bit to move, but that proved to cause scratch marks on the hood of his car. I told him that it served him right.

So never did he find the perfect solution.

sorry I'm no help, but I wanted to share what doesn't work.

Tina

It has been touted that if you prop up a broom, bristle side up, against your car, that cats won't jump up and walk on the car........probably wouldn't hurt to take a swipe at the cat w/the broom first! lol ;)

WE have that problem -- I have suggested to my husband who gets livid about the cats -- to put a plastic office carpet that has the tiny pin points on the bottom side on the hood (pin point side UP). They would not like jumping up on that. But, alas, he hasn't tried it YET!

Let mt know if you DO try this one!

Thanks for all your help, however if anyone else has ideas? Please keep the information coming.

I've never tried this for cars, put cats do not like citrus, you can set orange peels around on your patio to keep the cats off. I have heard that this works. Also cats also do not like bitter apple and can't remember for sure but I think another is spearmint. Couple other suggestions if desperate is cover the car in double sided tape anything stickly cats do not like anything that sticks to their paws. Or better yet put balloons on the car and when they jump up their claws will burst the balloon and scare them away. Couldn't resist to throw the last two in for laughs. Hope this helps and good luck I know it is frustrating having paw prints on your clean car!

Put a plastic owl on the car? Cats just laugh at us people, I bet! lol

My son is highly allergic to cat dander & for some reason they love to nest UNDER his car. I heard you can spray ammonia (maybe dilute some). Anyone know if this will hurt the under carriage?

July 22, 2001 Flag

Does anyone have a solution for cats getting up on your car and leaving cat prints and scratches all over? Thanks!

By D.S. from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about a car cover. If you don't wan't to purchase one, you can make one out of any waterproof material. An added bonus of using a cover would be preserving your car's finish.

We used a water gun - after a while we just pointed it out the door & he'd jump off . The only problem is its a convertible & he still has his back claws, and worried about him tearing the top everytime he jumped off. Michaelson Tool & Brush

My cats used to lounge on my convertable top and I gave them the hose a few times and they never went up there again. I set up the sprinkler so whenever I saw them up there i turned it on. I still don't think they knew it was me. Also if you have your convertible in the garage or under a car canopy or car port. You can put 3 or 4 moth balls on the roof and trust me they won't go anywhere near it. Be blessed friend :)

Sprinkle Cayenne Pepper or other strong pepper on your vehicle. The cat will walk on it and then stop to lick its paws. When it does WOW. It doesn't hurt the animal but it will not take doing this too many times to teach the animal to stay away. My mom told me this and she and I have had to use this method many times and it really works. Grannygirl

Pets CatsJanuary 23, 2008
A dog standing on a driveway.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cars
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Organizing Toy Cars
Organizing Toy Cars
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
🎉
🎄