Training a Dog Not to Chase Cars

Having a dog that likes to chase cars is a very dangerous situation that pet owners struggle to correct. This is a page about training a dog not to chase cars.

Any suggestions on how to stop a dog from chasing cars?

Donna B.

Answers

The only thing i can think of is an electronic dog fence. However, you must obviously live on at least an acre or you'd have it chained or cabled. We have an acre and keep our dog on a cable which conveniently fits under the door. It's 30 feet and we have another one 20 feet out by the fire area. We could never let David go as he's a wanderer and after paying almost 500 dollars to get him fixed chipped and his shots no way is he going to get away! (smile)

By meeee (Guest Post)

How about having an other person drive by with a spray bottle with something like hot pepper or something safe but nasty, and spray stream with it hitting the dog? Better than a dead dog.

14 years ago my puppy did that and I let out such a loud shriek of fear that I must have traumatized him because he never did it again! My sweet old buddy is still with me, thank God.

By (Guest Post)

1. A fence
2. A leash\
3. A closed door

Can anyone help us with two young female German Shepherds? They chase cars relentlessly. We are worried they may be run over. Your input would be much appreciated. Regards.

JEMc

By JIM MCGRAW from Hiawassee, GA

Answers

We always kept our dogs in a fenced yard. One was a German Shepherd. He was extremely smart and obedient. He'd sit at the side of the house while my dad was gardening. He was very protective if anyone came around, but if my dad told him to stop (growling, or getting up) he would immediately obey. My in-laws keep their dogs in the house most of the time. I think they need to be trained, or they need physical barriers.

For the dogs' safety and your neighbors' safety, they should either be fenced in or (if you can't afford fence) leashed. Most cities (and even my tiny little town) have ordinances prohibiting dogs from running free.

We only have 1 dog, but wouldn't even think of
allowing him to run loose to chase anything. There's

always the chance of them getting hit by another car
in their frenzy to catch the one they're chasing.

This is a bad habit that is easily remedied.

If you love these animals, and I'm sure you do,
keep them on a leash when you take them outside
or in a fenced area so that at least, they are safe.

You could be saving yourself some big vet bills,
or the needless loss of a beloved pet.

MisMachado

Pets Dogs Training AdviceJune 14, 2013
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-31 13:33:48 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️