Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars

Love bugs can destroy your cars paint finish, obscure vision and overheat your car if not clean off in a timely manner. This is a guide about cleaning love bugs from cars.

I use The Love Bug Solution. It's a new product that is sprayed on the car. It forms a cellophane-like barrier that traps the bugs before they can damage the paint. When I arrive at my destination, the barrier turns to soap suds when you spray it with water and the love bugs and other insects simply wash away.

By SamYates from Fort Pierce, FL

How to get love bugs off your windshield. Use the sheet you put in dryer, it works great!

Source: Local new paper. Palm Beach Post Times Wednesday May 11th. edition.

By Bill from Hobe Sound, FL

Living in Louisiana we have many, many interesting insects. One of which is called a love bug. There is nothing loving about a love bug! They are extremely irritating, swarming around like a black cloud twice a year.

These love bugs are extremely bad for your paint job on your vehicle. The easiest way to clean love bugs off your grill, hood, windshield, or any other part of your vehicle is a dryer sheet. That's right, it doesn't even have to be an expensive one.

You can even use an old one out of your dryer. Just wet it, wring it out, and start wiping down your car. This also works for any other little pesky bug that decides to fly into your automobile while you're driving down the road.

So head to the dollar store for a cheap box or just recycle from your dryer, either way, dryer sheets could just save your paint job!

Source: Mrs. Patty Daigle

By Mistie from Baton Rouge, LA

I live in the New Orleans area. Across the south in the spring and fall, we are plagued with little flying insects called LOVE BUGS. They are all over your car and are the biggest mess. They have a high acidity level so if not removed promptly, they can actually take off the paint. This isn't just a quick rinse-off with a hose answer, as anyone living in these areas know.

My question is, has anyone found a good way to clean our cars to make sure the finish is protected?

Thanks,

Sandy from Kenner, LA

Answers

By lindajean (Guest Post)

Houston also has lovebugs! Use WD40 when splatter is still fairly fresh!

Once you get the car clean, you need to give it a good, thorough, heavy duty waxing.

By jodee433 (Guest Post)

I use Pam on my SUV after I wash it. works great.

My husband works in road construction. He sprays diesel fuel on dried asphalt to remove it from the bed of his truck. I don't know if this would affect your paint or not. Maybe you could set a piece of painted metal outside and test it. Maybe a junkyard would let you test it on one of their cars. If it can remove asphalt, it should remove those bugs. Good luck!

I spent some time in your area following the horrific Hurricane Katrina while volunteering and can remember those awful bugs! Find sponges that are used for cleaning pots & pans but that won't scratch the surface. They will help to scrub off the bugs along with some soap and water.

Once you've dried the surface, spray the painted areas with baby oil. This will keep the bugs from sticking and it won't hurt the paint finish at all. Sounds strange, but I've done it and it really does work! We used it on cars at dirt track races to keep the mud from sticking to the cars. Hope this helps!

By Nolasandy. (Guest Post)

Good tips, Thanks a lot!

Sandy

By Suzie (Guest Post)

I saw Frank Davis on the news talking about love bugs, and he recommended using a dryer sheet to wipe them off. He also said paint color matters. Apparently the lighter color you car is, the more likely you are to attract them.

If you spray the spots with "WD-40" and let them sit and ahen mix "Windex" and dish washing liquid then scrub off with A heavy duty brush, sponge, ect. After that wash them off.

What is the easiest way to remove love bugs from my automobile?

Pat from Collins, MS

Answers

By Judith W. (Guest Post)

Ok, I give up. What are love bugs?

<b> Editor's Note:</b> The lovebug is a member of the family of march flies.

The adult is a small, flying insect common to parts of Central America and the southeastern United States.

Try a used fabric softener sheet. Its texture is perfect for removing the bugs and will not scratch your cars finish. To help keep the bugs off of your car, you can spray Pam cooking spray, or WD-40 on the front of your car. Just a light spray and keep them cleaned away with the dryer sheet.

Hope this helps.
Tina

COKE

Take coke cola and put it in a spray bottle and spay it on love bugs it'll remove them without any effort at all. I did this to my RV and it removed the love bugs right off. try it you'll be surprised.

This is off the topic, but reminded me of when my dear friend's sister used to work at a donut shop. At night they would clean the fryers with Coca Cola!

It cut the grease toot sweet! I stopped drinking it for years because I was worrying what it would do to my stomach! Still eating donuts though,but still....40+ years later rarely drink Cola beverages!

What is the best way to clean off the "lovebugs" splatter off a car windshield? Please help, mine is covered and gross!

By john Romano from Dade City, FL

Answers

I would not use some sprays such as WD40 because it will leave a film on the windshield and the wipers will smear it around even more. You could use a razor blade to scrape most of the bugs off then a window cleaner with some Isopropyl alcohol added by you, available from super markets and Walmart and scrub with a non-scratching pad also available in the household section of the above stores. No scratches or smearing on the windshield.

Bounce dryer sheets, even used ones work. Our RV coach was covered with them after visiting Cameron, LA, on the Gulf coast. Got home, wet down the windshields and front, used a handful of "used" wet Bounce sheets and (actually, to my surprise), it worked! There is a tiny bit of elbow grease needed but not a whole lot.

I really don't have a clue about getting them off the windshield, but when we lived in FL, we got a bottle of Avon's Skin-So-Soft and wiped a very light coat of it on our car hood and bumper. Cleaning them off those two places afterwards was an absolute breeze. Good Luck, John! That is one thing living in Michigan now that we don't miss about Florida. Do miss the FL winters. (:>)

Is there any way to get rid of lovebugs from your yard, every year they just about drive me nutty. Please, if you have any suggestions, let me know.

cj

Answers

For the car....I have found that after you wash your car hit it with wax at least the front end and hood. Allows for a much much much easier removal. With regard to the windshield, haven't tried it yet but maybe that rain ex spray would work (kind of a wax for the windshield).

Oh, one more. Those MagicErasers do a very good job getting those bugs off as well.

What is the best way to clean lovebugs off an auto and windshield? Also, how can you best keep them out of your home?

Sharon

Answers:

Cleaning Lovebugs Off a Car and Windshield

I don't know how to keep them out of your house but you can clean them off your car with WD-40. Just spray it on and around the bugs, let sit for a few minutes, and they should wipe right off. (09/14/2005)

By Jackolyn Smith

I know you're asking for a remedy and I really don't have one. Maybe it`s because I have no idea what "lovebugs" are. Are they big? small? Do they sting? bite? I`m curious. Maybe we have them here but know them by another name (09/16/2005)

By Mairmie

The best way to get lovebugs off your car is to use WD 40 Spray on car and let sit for a few minutes and use a netted sponge or some sort of scrubber that wont damage the paint, just wash with soap and water as you normally would. The only downside is you have to wash the car two times one with the WD 40 to get the bugs off and another to wash off the WD 40. But it's worth it and believe me it works! (09/21/2005)

By Mandy

I use Windex (or any other glass cleaner) mixed with some dish washing liquid. I mix the two together, at any amount, I just guess, but more Windex than detergent or else too many suds. I spray on the car and windows and they come off in a snap. I let sit for a couple of minutes and they are no trouble at all to get off. (09/24/2005)

By JMD

To clean lovebugs off car, use a bounce dryer sheet just wipes them right off (09/27/2005)

By Sarah

Lovebugs are little soft bodied flying bugs. We have them here in FL. They come out twice a year. I heard they are attracted by auto fumes, that is why they are so plentiful on the country roads. (10/10/2005)

By Lorraine

As a recent transplant to S.E. Georgia, I am experiencing my first encounter with "lovebugs". I had a local old-timer suggest, after cleaning the lovebugs from the hood, grill and bumper of my car, I should spray the front of my car with Pam Cooking Spray to make my subsequent cleanings, easier. I'm going to give it a try. (09/24/2006)

By Gwyn

Thought I was the only one that used the WD-40! It works. (09/26/2006)

By deb

WD-40 does not work.. I just wanted everyone to know .
(10/02/2006)

By Diarmuid C

Just use bug and tar remover. You can get it at Target or Walmart. It works the best. You have to let it sit for a couple of minutes. (05/06/2007)

By Jake.

Johnson's Baby Shampoo...just put it on with a sponge or cloth and wash your car...no effort...they are GONE..be sure to rinse thoroughly! (05/26/2007)

By dfraser

Do not use PAM. It ruins your paint job---ask body shop (the grease gets into the paint) (05/29/2007)

By oldole

I have found warm water and baking soda used with a bug sponge will dissolve them. Don't forget to thank good ol' U.F. for them! (05/29/2007)

By Vren44

Lovebugs were not invented at UF. They do not sting or bite.

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/hot_topics/environment/lovebugs.html (05/29/2007)

By

I do know after you have removed them a good trick to make it easy to remove the next time is to use Rain-x on all windows and apply to the trouble spots on you car even painted areas also the bumper. I have done this and they come right off my car. I have coated the whole front of my car, the bumper and all. Works like a charm. And no it has not messed up the paint if nothing else it is the brightest wax I have seen. LOL (05/29/2007)

By Barbara

Dryer sheets are the best, just get the car wet with the hose and rub a dryer sheet (Bounce, etc) over the bumper, windshield and grill and they come right off without any waiting or elbow grease. Safe for car also. (05/31/2007)

By lisa

Just used dryer sheets on the front of my truck and it worked really well.( Hands are softer too) (06/01/2007)

By hd02fatboy

I have found that a product called Grease Lightning works well spray it on let sit for a few minutes and watch the love bugs turn to brown slime rinse with car wash soap and your good to go (06/06/2007)

By Bob J

I found a product called LoveBug Wipes. They are for your car's paint and windshield. They are in some convenience stores down here around Gainesville, but you can go to http://www.lovebugwipes.com and buy them as well. They work pretty good on newly hit lovebugs, and leave a film that makes the paint job slick. (08/14/2007)

By eric

I talked with paint and body guy about the dryer sheets. He told me that they will work but dryer sheets are made of polyester or a plastic, not cotton, so he said that if used enough or scrubbed hard enough, the plastic "fibers" will rub through your clear coat and you'll see it. I'm still using the lovebug wipes, they work fine. (08/31/2007)

By Eric

Non sudsing Ammonia, cheap, effective. Use full strength on a sponge or brush. 20% strength with water in the wiper fluid is also very good. Smells, but works.
(09/30/2007)

By Jim.

Dryer sheets work pretty well, but I put a THIN coat of vaseline prior to bug season on trouble spots such as the bumper, side-view mirrors etc. (05/03/2008)

By BraneDmg

Is there any way to get rid of lovebugs from your yard, every year they just about drive me nutty.

Are those lovebug guts on your car driving you insane? Well, don't let them ruin your paint. Use a fabric softener to wipe them off your car. They're easy and cheap to use.