This is a little tip for people who like conserving energy and water. When there is ice left in the glasses after a meal, I always pop them altogether and then put that ice into the house plants rather just throw it down the drain. It is a shame to have used the electricity to make the cubes and then just throw them all away. Saves a bit of fresh water too!
By Maura from New York, NY
Good that you mentioned this. I always do it as well.:)
I do not think that popping ice cubes in your houseplants is good, you give them a temperature shock and your plants will dye, striating to get brown at the stem, or get mildew.
To avoid such a temp shock, it is even recommended to let the water sit for a while to get to room temperature.
I use the water collected from my humidifier to water my plants, inside and out. It always seemed a shame to pour that water down the drain.
You can put your plants into shock by using the ice. Plants do not like extreme cold water or hot water either. Water should be room temperature to make your plants happy.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!