Put Leftover Ice in House Plants

This is a little tip for people who like conserving energy and water. When there is ice left in the glasses after a meal, I always pop them altogether and then put that ice into the house plants rather just throw it down the drain. It is a shame to have used the electricity to make the cubes and then just throw them all away. Saves a bit of fresh water too!

By Maura from New York, NY

Good that you mentioned this. I always do it as well.:)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

I do not think that popping ice cubes in your houseplants is good, you give them a temperature shock and your plants will dye, striating to get brown at the stem, or get mildew.

To avoid such a temp shock, it is even recommended to let the water sit for a while to get to room temperature.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

I use the water collected from my humidifier to water my plants, inside and out. It always seemed a shame to pour that water down the drain.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

You can put your plants into shock by using the ice. Plants do not like extreme cold water or hot water either. Water should be room temperature to make your plants happy.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

It's definitely a great idea for orchids. (This comes from a nursery.) I don't know about houseplants though but worth a try. :-)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterJuly 15, 2010
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 6:37:40 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.