Smell Out of Washer

How do I get rid of the smell of white spirits in the washing machine and clothes?

By Elaine Christine from Sutton Coldfield. England

Try cleaning the inside with white vinegar or baking soda or both.

What is a 'white spirit'?

England's "white spirits" is what we call "mineral spirits". I asked my friend in England.

Don't worry you can fix it! This happened to me:

Whilst washing my brushes I spilled a full jar of white spirit, mopped it up with a towel then washed the towel - disaster! the machine absolutely stunk! We tried all the stuff posted here - vinegar, bleach, even some special £6.99 descaling washing machine cleaner, but it still stunk. Then we tried washing lots of old /£shop towels which soak up the white spirit.

When they air the smell goes out of them and if you keep washing, drying, washing etc the smell transfers to the towels, and is dissipated in the air. took about 5/7 days of continuous washing though!

I think you should still try the bleach/vinegar first, then go on to this as its

expensive in water and electric. (but cheaper than buying a new machine.)

July 31, 2010 Flag

I have made the mistake of putting a piece of clothing soaked in white spirits in with my normal washing. Now I cannot get rid of the smell from inside my drum, also my laundry comes out smelling of white spirits.

I have run my machine several times, but the smell seems to get worse. Please has anyone any tips on how I can get rid of the smell? It is a fairly new machine as well so I cannot afford to buy a new one.

By grannyangie from Norfolk, England

Answers:

Smell Out of Washer

I don't know actually, but here are some ideas: Go to the manufacturer's website and send the question to them.

Try a product that is used to eliminate odors from carpeting, like a pet odor eliminator. Check out this product: affresh.com I don't know if it will work for your specific problem, but may be worth investigating. Good luck. (09/11/2009)

By RDLaure

Smell Out of Washer

Run a "rinse" cycle with 3 cups of vinegar (clear). There will be a minimal vinegar odor when finished (if any) and leave the washer "open" to air out. Any vinegar odor will be short lived and will not be noticeable in the next wash load (I religiously add vinegar to my rinse cycle. It eliminates all perfume and remaining soap residue. Clothes come out squeaky clean). Plus the vinegar will dissolve any soap buildup in the discharge lines (if used periodically). (09/14/2009)

By Cajun62234

September 10, 2009 Flag

When doing laundry, why do I get an awful smell when washing clothes when the washer is running during the cycle?

Bridget from AZ

Answers:

Smell Out of Washer

Hello. There is a little trap somewhere on your washer that collects fuzzies, small objects, and what not. Also, it may be time to clean or replace all your tubing that connects to your washer. Check for minute leaks that could be rotting your floor too. Another thing, if you can lift the top to your washer and look for rotting build up, you would be amazed at what gets trapped in the nooks and crannies. Maybe that is where our socks go? (10/10/2007)

By Mary Stewart

Smell Out of Washer

Try a new product from Whirlpool called Affresh. (10/11/2007)

By Diane Arnett

Smell Out of Washer

Run the washer through a full cycle with no clothes in it with liquid dishwasher soap. Worked for us. (02/12/2008)

By boogieman

October 8, 2007 Flag

How do I get the smell out of washing machine after washing tea towels were mistakenly soaked in white spirit. White spirit is the base for nail varnish remover and is used to clean paint brushes etc. It has a very strong smell and is very difficult to get out of any material, although it doesn't stain. The smell lingers for ages. I usually throw the cloths away once used with white spirit but this time I decided to wash them and I can't get the smell out of the washing machine. Everything washed since has a taint, even when using a fabric softener.

Answers:

Smell Out of Washer

Try adding white vinegar and baking soda and send the machine through several cycles. This may work. (05/20/2003)

By kb.okeefe

Smell Out of Washer

I echo the vinegar (it's great to use instead of fabric softener on your clothes as well). You might try it with washing soda as well. Not the same thing as baking soda. I wonder if borax might help....hmmm. (06/10/2003)

By O-mama

Smell Out of Washer

Hi - I have just done exactly the same thing!! My washing machine reeks! Can you tell me if either of the suggestions worked, or if you found a different solution that did the trick, or is it off to the launderette for me?

Thanks

(04/16/2004)

By Clox

Smell Out of Washer

Please can someone tell me if the white vinegar and baking soda works? I just did the same thing last night!!! Now we have a load of laundry that smells of white spirit. (01/17/2006)

By Sandra

Smell Out of Washer

I'm an appliance repair technician. The only thing that we have found that takes that mildew or fungus smell from washers is a citrus based cleaner called "PUREWASH". It's not sold in stores - - only available at a website- www.smellywasher.com / it works great! We buy it in bulk! Our customers love it! (09/04/2006)

By motsbc

Smell Out of Washer

I just removed the smell out of mine after reading this thread...

First I got some zip ties and was able to make a trap with the hose right before the drain, and 2, I ran a cleaning solution thru the washer on a full cycle...

1 litre vingear

1/8th bottle super mildew remover (spray type)
1/4th med box of baking soda

Ran this on cold/cold setting. Then ran a quick rinse cycle of just plain cold water. Worked a charm! :D (09/21/2006)

By GUEST

Smell Out of Washer

Motsbc is right. That "purewash" works great! It not only cleaned my washer but it made all my towels and cottons smell new again - and it only takes a tablespoon per load! (11/10/2006)

By tara9

Smell Out of Washer

Our 13 year old Kenmore top load washed just started emitting a dreadful vomit-like smell. Coincidentally, we've experienced "brown water" on several mornings recently, which the City Water Sewer Administration has told my husband is "nothing to worry about."

Any ideas? Hot water and bleach have not helped.
(05/08/2007)

By Mississippi Mama

Smell Out of Washer

(05/08/2007)

By Mississippi Mama

Smell Out of Washer

I have the horrible mold smell on days when we've done a high volume of laundry. The clothes stunk and felt brittle even when we used softener.
I tried vinegar and baking soda, but still was not thrilled with the results.

I then went back to 20 Mule Team BORAX and have the quality of my laundry back. Smells fresh and, with softener, the clothes are once again soft.
I want to do a comparison with that PUREWASH and the BORAX to see what the difference is.
(07/07/2007)

By Klean Klothes

Smell Out of Washer

Washing machine odor is caused by fungus that comes from overuse of detergent and fabric softener. I used a cleaner called "purewasher" to get rid of the fungus that causes washing machine smell. It also gets rid of mildew smell from towels and clothing! It's been months and the smell hasn't returned! (08/04/2007)

By emmygal

Smell Out of Washer

Can someone please tell me where to get this purewash. I have looked everywhere and I just need a website or something. If I take the time to wash one more load and it stinks I am going to yank this washer out and throw it in the yard. It is the worst thing to go to work smelling like you haven't washed your clothes in a year and the corporate environment frowns upon that. (09/05/2007)

By devan

Smell Out of Washer

Purewash can be ordered at http://www.smellywasher.com. I just ordered some and am in the process of trying it. I'll post more when I know the results. (09/07/2007)

By erika

Smell Out of Washer

Thanks for your recommendation of 1 litre vinegar, 1/4 box of baking soda, and 1/8 bottle of mildew remover on a cold/cold setting. This worked beautifully. I had tried purewash. I tried bleach. I tried 40 oz vinegar. None of these three solutions worked on my front loading washer. Your vinegar/baking soda/mildew remover combo with cold settings did the trick. You saved my wife and I a lot of frustration. Thanks again. (10/08/2007)

By Eric Davis

Smell Out of Washer

I used white vinegar, about half a litre the first time, then a full litre the second time. The smell has now gone! Thanks! (10/08/2007)

By Yvonne Mackey

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJuly 31, 2010
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎉
🎄