Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Ripening Pears

How can I ripen store-bought pears in one day? I am having a dinner party tonight and need them for a recipe. The pears I bought have not yet ripened.

By Karin from San Diego, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jlyn [3]11/22/2010

Put them in a paper bag with bananas. I always put mine with bananas in the fruit bowl and it works great! I'm not sure about having them ready by evening though!:)

By Cynthia Durham [3]11/22/2010

First, it can't be done in a day. It will take 24 to 48 hours. Put the pears in a large plastic container with 2 or 3 apples. Be sure the container closes tightly. The apples give off a gas that will ripen the pears fairly quickly, but not in 12 hours or less. Sorry.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Ripening Pears

What is the correct way to ripen pears (other than on the tree)? We have a new pear tree that has produced 11 pears this year and they're falling off, but aren't ripe. I know there are recommendations about ripening bananas and wonder if there is something special I should do to help my pears ripen instead of rot. Thanks

Judi from Elgin, OR

RE: Ripening Pears

I have a pear tree as well and pears never ripen on the tree. Put them in a paper grocery bag, fold down the top and leave them in a dark place, such as a closet. Check for ripeness after 1 week and every other day thereafter. Enjoy. (09/11/2008)

By Eric

RE: Ripening Pears

What you do is put the pears in to a paper bag (do not use a plastic bag), then add one banana (not a super-green one). This should ripen the pears in only one day, but sometime it takes 2 days. The reason this works is because that all bananas are shipped green, then ripened with a gas and it's this gas that ripened fruit give off (from the banana) that will ripen your fruit very quickly. (09/11/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Ripening Pears

Simply placing the pears, peaches, nectarines, etc. in an open bowl works for me. But I live in a warm climate. By the time they are ripe, they are eaten. (09/12/2008)

By grannygail

RE: Ripening Pears

We have pear trees just starting to ripen. Some on the trees, some finish after they are picked. I am in middle of Minnesota. The paper grocery bag is great, unless you have a box with a cover you can put a couple little holes in for some escape of some gas. All fruit will release this, does not need to be in the fridge, but a cooler storage area great.

When you have 2-3 dozen doing it at the same time you want to control the ripening factor unless you are doing it to can/process them. I love taking the pears and the red and golden delicious apples, do not peel, just wash, core or seed and toss into the blender, toss on the dehydrator sheets to make the best snack for the kids. Oh, make sure you use a plastic wrap on the dehydrator sheets.

If you toss into a open kettle to cook before doing it, the fruit will stay sticky, like you buy roll ups in the store. If you like, mix a little apple sauce with your fruit. If not, just a drying session, it will be wafer like, melt in the mouth. Store bought roll up uses the pear as a base for all their products. (09/12/2008)

By T and T Grandma

RE: Ripening Pears

They don't get soft on the tree. Bring them in the house and they will soften. Or you can put them up while they're still pretty firm, either as fruit pieces or as jam or butter. (09/16/2008)

By coreenhart

RE: Ripening Pears

If you have a lot of pears and plan to can them in some way it is easier to layer newspaper on the floor of your garage and lay the pears on top. Check every 2 days for ripeness and then be prepared for canning. (09/11/2009)

By wolfbytez

Archive: Ripening Pears

What is the best way to ripen pears?

By Kizzie from Cincinnati, OH

RE: Ripening Pears

Store them in a bowl with some bananas. This helps them to ripen faster. Otherwise keep them on the refrigerator. The warmth helps them to ripen faster. Hope this helps. (12/29/2009)

By roopasekhar

RE: Ripening Pears

I always put them in brown paper bags from the grocery store and wrap them up. It works for me! (12/29/2009)

By happymomof7