Ceiling Joint in Mobile Home Needs Repair

We have a double wide mobile home. In the living room, across the ceiling the board that covers the joint is not flush. On one end it's flush, but in the middle it starts to separate. I can't stand this open hole in my house.

How can I fix this and have it stay for a while as the home shifts? I thought about spray foam, but it gets ridged and will crack also. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Connie from AR

By buckdoe

You will need a old extension shower curtain rod, if it will reach that far, or else get someone to make you a support with a 2x4 long enough to reach, and a pc across the end to press the board up (I have had the same problem on my double wide as well!). Then get some Liquid nails at Walmart, and a good ladder. Squeeze the liquid nails into the space. Don't worry about taking the board down. Then press it back into place, using the 2x4 or extension rod to hold the board in place until it dries. Keep an old rag close by to wipe out any oozing that may come out. We fixed ours like this, and you can't tell there was ever a problem.

Once you get the board back in place you could also take some stained 1x4 lumber and affix them over all the joints in the room to give it an exposed beam look to keep the problem from coming back. This is really easy to do and inexpensive, especially with an air nailer.