Preparing to Take Part in a Community Yard Sale

I am going to be taking part in a community yard sale that is going to be held in a church parking lot. Should I make my own signs? What can I do to make my booth stand out from the others?

By Karaoke Mama

Make a sign that says: Great prices and deals.

Make a freebie box with a smaller sign near it that says if you buy one item, you get to choose something from the 'freebie' box.

Be sure to replenish it every hour with more freebie items. Also, towards the end of the day, start packing up things you cannot part with away or segregate it from things you are willing to part with cheaply.

Start telling people that they can fill up a bag for x amount of dollars. More people will flock to your table, maybe purchasing the items that you segregated as well, smile.

Thank you! These are great ideas. I am going to use them. You Rock!

Over the last 20 years we've had nearly 60 yard sales including huge benefit charity sales. In my experience in order of importance:

1. Signs (large and legible) any any other available free advertising.

2. Clean items in good repair (a bit of touch up paint or glue can make the sale) well displayed (avoid putting items on the ground or leaving in boxes as many people are not able or willing to stoop down or rummage through boxes). Not enough tables? A box of like items (no breakable or sharp items) is okay placed on a chair.

3. Price every item beforehand (I do not overprice as in our area when an item is fairly priced very few people haggle).

4. Have plenty of change, bags, and newspapers (to wrap breakables).

5. Relax - have fun and enjoy yourself. Welcome/greet each visitor. Play some happy music. Wear a silly hat (mine is a Crown complete with fake jewels and printed with "Her Royal Highness Queen of the Yard Sale" and hubbies is a huge wide brimmed Mariachi straw hat).

Have something to give away to all the kiddos (even just a sticker will bring a smile to a small child). When a customer asks me for info on an item I'm not familiar with I'll cup my hands around my mouth and call out to my husband "attention, attention...associate to electronics" (or hardware/automotive, etc.) We have repeat customers at all our sales and I often see folks when I'm out and about who stop me and tell me they just cant wait, when is the next sale?

Hope you have a great sale, it's hard work but can be profitable and great fun at the same time.

garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale
Garage Sales AdviceJune 8, 2010
Yard sale on the front lawn of a house.
Throwing a Neighborhood Garage Sale
Finding a Good Retirement Community, Houses in a retirement community.
Finding a Good Retirement Community
Furniture Being Sold at Estate Sale
Having an Estate Sale
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard