Browsing: Uses for Milk Crates

Milk Crates for Freezer

Use milk crates to rotate and separate frozen items in chest freezer.

By Shanyn

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Put a piece of cardboard down the sides of the milk crate because the plastic bag with food (for example hamburger meat) in it will mold to the crate as it freezes and expands, thereby expanding into the holes in the sides of the crate. This makes for a crate of food that has to be taken out of the freezer to be partially thawed before any plastic bags can be removed. I know. I now use all tomato boxes in my freezer instead, they have one handle opening on the end and are also very sturdy.

I put things into my 9x13 cake pans to freeze flat then remove them to areas of the freezer FLAT. You can pick up extra freezer (metal) baskets at garage sales, auctions, etc.

We have even just used a cardboard box set in a plastic bag in the freezer to hold things in a pinch. My friend cuts large openings in plastic milk jugs, leaving the handle on, and uses those in her freezer for small bags of similar items, freeze pops, leftovers, etc. She has one jug full of bags of minced pre-steamed green peppers and onions that she uses for meatloaf. Other jugs hold ziploc bags full of homemade spaghetti sauce, alfredo sauce, soup stock and gravy. When she needs them she just lifts the jug out by the handle and retrieves a bag or two. This seems to suit her as she only cooks for two.

Milk Crate for Storing Games
Uses for Milk Crates
Food and Recipes FreezingApril 21, 2001
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Wine Crate Treasure Boxes
Uses for Wine Crates
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 12:21:28 AM on 10.0.0.230 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.