Uses for Milk Crates

Category Reusing
Those plastic milk crates have a multitude of uses. This is a guide about uses for milk crates.

My neighbor's mother used milk crates to form all her furniture. Yep, those ugly blue crates. From them, she made a full size bed. She just laid them out evenly and put the top mattress on top. She used them to make a desk top, TV stand, end tables. She also used the crates that 2 liter pop bottles came in and I think she found some at garage sales.

It takes a lot but I have heard also of college kids using them. She moved here from out of state, it was a cheap way to furnish her apartment. I guess some will do almost anything to make do. Sometimes anything is worth a try. These are also available in stores but they may not be as sturdy.

Ariela from FL

After my seeds are growing and in bigger containers, I place them in crates, against the patio doors and windows which are facing west. I am known to have at least 20 crates! The light and air can get through to all plants.

Once the weather warms up during the day, I place them on the porch facing east during the day, and bring them in at night, or cover them up with sheets. Using the crates, I can transport them to the garden easily.

Milk Crate Garden to Start Seeds

By Kim from WI

Use milk crates to rotate and separate frozen items in chest freezer.

By Shanyn

Plastic milk crates make great closet organizers for stacking clothing. The old sturdy milk crates are pretty hard to come by at this point, but you can purchase light weight plastic crates at the dollar store or department store that work just as well.

How can I make a foot stool and table out of milk crates?

CEE CEE

Answers

By guest client (Guest Post)

The table is easy -- just stack them up to the size you want, cover with something flat (plywood works), then cover with a table cloth. The footstool is a bit more work --- cover a piece of plywood (the size of 1 or 2 crates) with a pad and fabric. You can attach it with a large washer and screw. Hope this helps.

By guest client (Guest Post)

To make it a bit more sturdy you could fasten the milk crates together with plastic 'ties' - the ones you loop round and thread the end through a one way fastener - when they're pulled up tight they don't come undone but you can cut them off. If you are in the US and not sure what I mean from my very inadequate description(!) you could use thin tie wire to fasten them together.

Jo

zip ties!.. nice
nuts bolts and washers work
try stacking them and wrapping duck tape around them.
There are brown rolls of tape, as well as other crazy colors
wrapp the entire outer surface of how ever many you want to stack up, treat the tape as if it were molding and you were making ornate facial molding or the shelf.

Dont do it ,,,I was arrested "obtaining "a few tosupport my bed.

There's a special chemical compund that permenantly joins the plastics it's placed on. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowes. Look for a product called PVC Glue. It's manufactured for use in PVC plumbing fixtures, but if you put it around the perimeter of both crates, and then clamp them together for a little while, it will create a nice secure hold.

Milk crates can be bought at Dollar General Stores. You don't have to "borrow" them and get arrested.

do you realize what it cost a company per year for stolen milk crates? Its up to a million dollars what dairies must put out due to people stealing these. Buy from your local hardware store, if you are caught with these the dairy has the right to fine you and or in some cases have a person arrested.

dont steal them

Hi Milkman,
We don't encourage theft here at ThriftyFun. Here is a place where you can buy milk crates new. http://www.cont … amp;PRODID=60136

Thanks for the information.
Susan from ThriftyFun

To answer your question, if you are still seeking an answer, for the foot stool, you turn one upside down and place it in front of a chair. For a table, you align several crates next to each other, upside down, and then stack a couple on top of each of the aligned crates.

If you really want to get genuine milk crates directly and not pay to resellers then it's better to buy them from manufacturer. The best quality I found so far is here: www.milkcratesdirect.com
You even can have your logo molded-in or hot-stamped.

They wouldn't support much. They are flimsy and cheap. If you want good ones, you need the kind that are plastic coated metal.