Uses for Store Hangers

I have a bunch of the Walmart hangers. Does anyone have any other uses for them? I prefer the sturdy plastic ones for everyday use. Even if there was some place to recycle them, I'd be happy.

Amie from Nashville, IL

You can donate them to any Salvation Army, Goodwill or other organization that sells/gives away used clothes.

How about giving them back to Walmart? They can probably reuse/recycle them.

You might check with walmart and see what they do with theirs. I believe a checker told me one time that they return them to the place they order clothing from (manufacturer?) and they (walmart) gets $$ credit for returning them. Depending on the type of # of plastic it is, on whether it would be recyclable. I've never heard of a business accepting them for recycling. I gave all mine away on a place called freecycle. www.freecycle.org.

Churches that offer clothing give aways will sometimes take them off your hands. Nursing homes will sometimes accept them but they typically want the wire hangers.

If you crochet or knit you can make crocheted hangers. It works better with the hard plastic or wire hangers but i have seen the clothing store hangers used like this also.

My mom would make clothes pin bags out of old shirts and clothes hangers. You could probably glue or tape 3-4 of them together to make them sturdier, take an old shirt and make a seam across the bottom, cut off the arms first of course & sew that up and then drape it over the clothes hanger just like a shirt would. She would put her clothes pins in them for outdoor use but also would put mix-matched socks in them (til u can find the matching one), she would store pantyhose in them, any small item that takes up room in a drawer or shelf could be put in it, as long as it's not too heavy when accumilated!

I use coat hangers to hold tee shirt shopping bag for trash the slots for straps hold the bags well.

Walmart most definitely will take back the hangers, you may want to speak with an assistant manager and may have to drive around back to drop them off depending on how many you have.

I bring ours to the local dry cleaners and they always are happy to take them.

Join the local Freecycle group in your area. Freecycle is a group where people recycle things they don't want any longer. Someone will be happy to take them off your hands.

My local place that sells clothes for a fundraiser, a Senior Center thrift shop, uses wire hangers because plastic take up more space. They bundle plastics and sell them. Still happy to get them, but they can't use them.

Donating is the best. If you wanted to keep a few and make them into circles, you can use several taped together to make a wreath for bows on your door. If you have a wire cutter, you can cut off the bottoms and use them to support a spray. Add some holiday ribbon and ornaments and there you go!!

I put the straps of my shopping bags around the hanger and then attach the hanger to the headrest of the backseat to keep bags from tipping over on the way home from shopping. Most days the back end is packed by the end of the day, but until then, I don't like having pick up things in the back of the car.

Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 4, 2008
Sweater Covered Hanger
Making Covered Hangers
mini hangers
DIY Paper Clip Barbie Clothes Hangers
Wire Coat Hanger on White Background
Uses for Wire Hangers
Uses for Clip Hangers
Uses for Clip Hangers
🎄