AdviceParties

Damage Done During a Party

I had a holiday party at my house and someone flushed two boxes of cheese its down the toilet! Should I make them pay for the damage wich was around $400 or what? Please help me. They also broke 3 pipes and a few of my best wine glasses!

NO-SEW from KC

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. What kind of friends do you have? Not the kind I would invite back for future parties. I would certainly speak to them about the damages and the costs associated with repairing or replacing, but I wouldn't expect much. If the damage and replacement costs are significant, you could always take them to small claims court, but you're sure to lose them as friends, although that may not be a bad thing. For future parties you may want to rethink your guest list, and next time use plastic wine glasses. Good luck with recouping your losses, but you may have to write this off as an unfortunate experience. I hope the rest of the new year goes better.

I agree with mrsmutt. You need new friends! (Yikes...)

Unbelievable!! You know who did these damages? Oh, definitely go to them and "suggest" they owe you for the damages...even if it was a child, go to those parents, but I'm thinking it probably wasn't a child...even more important to go to the offending adult and make at least an attempt to recover your costs. Could it have been accidental? They need to know that you aren't willing to absorb their inconsideration for your home, hospitality, and possessions.

Then recovery or not, they'll know why you don't ask them back to your home in the future. If you do choose to have them back, you're much more gracious than I.

Just out of curiosity, people of this nature don't do things like this just once. What made you invite them to your party? A decision like that is asking for trouble. If you have proof of who did it, and if they refuse to make good on it, this is what small claims is about. But be prepared to loose not only them as friends, but some of their supporters as well--people like this stick together.

oh my goodness! NO-SEW from KC, this was not your fault...so hoping you don't take any of these responses to mean it was. Everyone has misjudge someone at some point, including their own "friends" at times. Live and learn. I would say you'd be the bigger person to go to them seeking the payment of damages, then to invite them to your home again if they pay up...ideally that is, not to say I could bring myself to do that!

Yes, they cause damage, then you should not be out-of-pocket for their stupidity. If they were real friends of character, they'd apologise and offer to pay you back. If you speak to them, suggest you'd like to be compensated. If a month goes by, and you haven't received a cent, I would see a solicitor before going to small debts court. Court will be time-consuming and cost you more money, and youwill need proof that they did he damage (statements, etc). Prepare yourself. Get quotes to replace the pipes and if it was deliberate damage, charge them. With the wine glasses, accidents happen, so live and learn. If it was deliberate, again get a quote on replacing he glasses. I'd seriously rethink about having these people as 'friends' if any damage was deliberate. Real friends don't trash houses.

Wow, even at the wildest of parties (and I've been to a few!) I haven't seen anybody do anything that dumb and truly mean! The wine glasses are probably accidents. The pipe breakage may be accidental -- but how the heck did they break pipes? I'm thinking you mean plumbing pipes? If you mean smoking pipes, what the heck were they smoking to make them think flushing cheese down the toilet was a good idea?? That one is most definitely NOT accidental! Asking for the money will likely only bring you more conflict and turmoil. If they trashed your house in such a rude and unkind way, imagine how they'll react when you ask them to pay! I say don't ask for the money and cut off contact with them. If they ask why you're distant, let them know they've hurt your feelings and cost you lots of money by trashing your house. Then see if they offer to make good. If they do, give them another chance. If not, write them off and consider yourself lucky to have them out of your life! You seem like a nice person, because your post had no trace of bitterness in it. You should have no problem meeting new and nicer friends! Good luck to you!

my suggestion...do like we do...do not have any more parties...& forget about gleaning any money from them...people that do this sort of thing are certainly not about to reimburse you...