Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing a Broken Key from Lock on a Fire Sentry Box

The key has broken off in the lock of my Fire Sentry box. It broke right at the opening of the lock, so nothing sticks out. The key is a light-weight, just a little bigger than a typical jewelry box key. There are three very small holes next to the key, and I've tried inserting wire, but the wire isn't heavy enough. The holes are too small to insert, for example, a straight pin. Help?

By shoe from NW, PA

By Sandi [390]12/11/2010

If you can, get one of those super magnets called rattlesnake eggs or the ones you can get in the hardware store. If the key is not twisted, it might work. Good luck!

By Lisa [2]12/10/2010

Weird. I posted a response to this the other day. I included a link to the Fire Sentry "contact us" page. ? Well, if none of these other suggestions work, you could do a search, and their website has a section where you can contact them. If all else fails, you could always ask them for advice.

By Ginny [25]12/10/2010

I would take a tiny amount of epoxy putty (which you get in a hardware store where all the glues are sold) and put it at the end of the broken key; affix a nail head or some other slim piece of metal to it and let dry. Be careful not to get the putty on any part of the lock other than the end of the key, as it will just glue everything together and you'll have a worse problem. If you had not turned the key in the lock, it should come out; if you need to turn the key to get it out, be very careful turning it! Good luck.

By Cindy [3]12/10/2010

I've never tried this, but it seems it could work. Cover the lock with a wad of Play Dough, pressing firmly over and around the keyhole, and let it sit for several minutes or longer. With any luck, maybe the Play Dough will latch onto the key and as you remove the Play Dough, it might help pull out the broken portion. Again, I have no idea if this would work but if you don't get better suggestions it might be worth trying! Otherwise, my best advice is to call a locksmith! Good luck!

By Lisa [2]12/09/2010

Can you put something sticky on a pin/wire and try to attach it to the end of the broken key and pull it out that way? I don't know . . . maybe you could use some fairly tacky tape, or a drop of glue.

Otherwise, you might want to contact the company, and see what advice they can give:
http://www.firesentry.com/ASupport.aspx