Cursor Problems With Dell Inspirion Laptop

I have a Dell laptop Inspirion, and I'm on AOL 9.6 which is compatible with my system. As I type I am accidentally hitting possibly the space bar and or other keys and my cursor jumps to some previous place in my email, though it also happens in Word Perfect. I've never had this problem before with other computers.

Is this what "sticky keys" are? Is this just a glitch in the system? It's so frustrating since I write a lot while reading from my notebook. I have to keep looking at the computer to make sure the cursor didn't jump back and mess everything up. Any suggestions? Or is it just this computer?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Patti

By Patti from Ewing, NJ

I had this problem with a laptop once, a Dell as it happens. Turns out I was brushing up against the keyboard mouse pad when I was typing, and it was sensitive enough to send the cursor off somewhere onto the page. As I didn't use the mouse pad I ended up covering it over with electrical tape. Not attractive but it solved the problem. I'm not sure if this is the same trouble you're having but it's worth looking at. Good luck!

Is your mouse pad a big one? My new laptops mousepad is bigger than on my previous one. I find that if I do not hold my wrists up above it they will touch the pad and then, I have the same problem you have.

I have the same problem with my Acer laptop, Patti. It is very frustrating. The cursor seems to just jump for no apparent reason. I'll try to pay more attention to where I rest my palms and where my thumbs touch in case I am unintentionally brushing against the touchpad. I don't think that I am, but it's worth a try. I thought about turning off the touchpad but to do that I would have to uninstall the driver. I would rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. I keep reminding myself how grateful I am to have my laptop and that this is merely a petty annoyance. Sometimes that helps. :)

I had the same problem with my Acer. One of the function keys will turn off the mousepad. On my laptop it is F7. Don't mean to be simplistic but just press down the Fn key and F7 at the same time. BTW you can turn off the sound using Fn and F8.

I have a Compaq laptop and I could never figure out what was going on. This makes sense- brushing up against the touch-pad. I use a mouse but when I'm replying to email or posting on a forum my cursor will skip back through what I've already typed. I'll have to try putting tape over it and see if that helps. Thanks for that suggestion!

I have the same problem, but I am NOT hitting my touchpad. I also have a Dell. Another things that I don't like: when I hit my Caps Lock, it loses it's place! Very frustrating.

Thank you Tapestry Lady, for that tip. It sounds better than anything else I've tried or heard. And thanks for the solidarity from everyone else. It IS frustrating isn't it?

smiles.

A man having trouble with his computer.
Troubleshooting Computer Problems
Computers TroubleshootingApril 27, 2011
Computer Browser
Troubleshooting Computer Software
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop
🎉
🎄