Molasses For Nut Grass Prevention

How functional is liquid molasses diluted with water as a nut grass repellent and when applied how long will it take before results?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Patricia from Whitney, TX

August 14, 2010 Flag

Nut Grass: I sprayed the lawn with diluted molasses concentrate, because I read on the internet that the government is conducting experiments to help get rid of nut grass via organic methods. They are using sweet products (sugar, molasses, etc.), because nut grass comes from a bulb and dirt full of nutrients contains micro-organisms that destroy bulbs.

After I sprayed a heavy dose of molasses water, I wondered if I should also water the lawn to keep the micro-organisms alive. Any opinions? We've had plenty of rain, but it's so doggone hot (upper 90s and rising) and no rain is expected for the next week. So, do I water the lawn or not? Any learned opinions out there?

I can't dig up the nut grass, there is too much of it in the lawn and those bulbs keep breaking off, thereby rendering my efforts useless. I am aware that the lawn has to be full, well watered and fertilized to crowd out weeds, and am doing my best to achieve this state.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Molasses For Nut Grass Prevention

Have the problem in my beds. This makes me think some of the mixtures I saw years ago on PBS using Coke for sugar in a hose sprayer might also work. Just guessing. (11/23/2008)

By Howy61

Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Grassy WeedsAugust 14, 2010
Molasses Cookies
Molasses Cookie Recipes
two molasses cookies on a wooden table
Molasses Sugar Cookie Recipes
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts