Child Safe Remedy for Fleas - Categories:

FleasPest Control

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

What can I use to get rid of fleas with home remedies? I need something that will not harm my children. I have a 6 month old and a 1 1/2 year old. What should I use?

By Heather from Owosso, MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

About 2 cups dry borax for each carpeted room. Spread, leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum. Carpet is the best breeding grounds for fleas. This is safe for children in the house. Crawling babies even. Use whatever safe method of killing the fleas on your pets. Residual borax will continue to kill the fleas for a year and a half. It will not harm carpet.

Frontline is very safe for entire family. Also give pet a good flea bath and then start them on oral flea protection; I've tried a lot of different types. The best one is "The program flea protection." I order mine online at petrx.com.

I was unable to find a product by this name?

You could also use diatomacious earth. It's used in pool filters and is made from the skeletons of microscopic life forms. The earth gets into the joints and kills the bug. works on any bug with an exo-skeleton. It must be reapplied if the area gets wet.

***DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR POOLS IS TOXIC TO YOUR PET!!!!!! ***

PLEASE USE FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH ONLY!

A small container of Food Grade diatomaceous earth can be found on amazon. However, it is much cheaper to go to a large animal feed store ( Last time I paid $20 for a 50lb bag) sprinkle it in carpet and along baseboards, let it set 2-3 days and vacuum. It will also kill spiders!

You can sprinkle it around the outside perimeter of your home as well. Just repeat when it rains :-) Deer come to visit our yard and with them come fleas. My little dog has a small fenced area outside so she can use the doggie door to do the business when I have to be out of the house. I cleaned her kennel, then covered the area with diatomaceous earth and topped it with cedar to keep her area as flea free as possible.

You can also make your own "flea catcher" to use at night. In a dark room I set a warm dish of water, added a large amount of Dawn, placed it on top of a white sheet of paper. Use a light source above it (I used an adjustable desk lamp) the heat and light from the lamp attracts them to the water! Wash your pet's bedding in hot water. If they have their own bed on the floor I recommend a cedar bed, you can make or buy a removable washable cover.

Note: You must repeat often. The life cycle of a flea from egg to adult is 21 days, and eggs can lie dormant for quite awhile.

I hope this helps!

August 25, 2010 Flag

***

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
***
How do you get rid of fleas in your house and on your cats for under $20? Please help, I have a 3 month old.

By Jennifer from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Cut up a few lemons and place in 4 cups boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to boil then cover and turn off the heat and leave to steep overnight. Strain (keeping the liquid) and put into a spray bottle, to spray on pets, especially behind ears.
Sprinkle salt and bicarb soda (baking soda) on all floors (especially carpet), bare mattresses, and fabric sofas and seats, then vacuum.

If it's really bad, bathe your cats in oil. This smothers all the fleas. The wash in a gentle dishwashing liquid to degrease.

Check your supermarket for flea treatments. Many of them last a month to a few months and protect your pets (and you) from pretty much every nasty they can get.
Hope I helped!
(06/27/2010)

By AnnieAnnie

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Vacuum daily because fleas breed every two weeks. Get rid of carpet and rugs if possible or put outside until fleas are under control. Vacuum furniture and bedding and dispose of bag after use or they will breed inside the bag. Do not allow cat on bed. Shake borax in crevices of rooms, floor, cat bed, wherever fleas are seen, it will desiccate them. You can also use salt, the coarse kind is best.

Wash the cat in lemon scented dish detergent and all his bedding and toys. You will have to do this weekly due to the life cycle of the flea. Begin washing the cat at the neck to keep fleas from running to the face. Wet wash his face and physically remove fleas. Then wash the rest of him or her. Try to let soap sit on cat for 5 minutes or more to give it time to work.

If washing is a problem, use a soap-soaked microfiber cloth especially under the belly, behind the ears around the neck, base of the tail, and genitals. Put kitty in tub to minimize the mess. Use a second one to rinse. Use a big heavy towel to dry. A sham, is good for drying. Give kitty a nice treat after bath so he/she will look forward to the intrusion.

Wash floors on a regular basis and sprinkle your borax. Keep cat inside to cut down on exposure. You can put a dish of lemon soap water under a night light and fleas will be drawn to the dish and the light. Do this in several places at night.

Try to locate the source of the fleas, the nest. It is usually in the basement, or some warm undisturbed place, such as a clothes box, or storage container.

The best way is to use Frontline which is placed at the nape of the neck every 6 weeks. You use a single vial that is absorbed and then leaves no traces behind. But if you object to all chemical control you will have to fight fleas vigorously and constantly and be satisfied with less than perfect control.

In the summer keep house cool, and in winter it helps to air out so it gets really cold while you go away for a day or two as often as you can. Let me know how this worked for you and if you have any questions. (07/12/2010)

By liveandlearn900

June 15, 2010 Flag

I have a newborn and a 4 year old. I cat sat for a friend and my cats got fleas. I don't want to use pesticides because of my kids. I just had surgery and can't move things out of the house for the exterminator. What can I do to get rid of them? It's getting bad.

By kricket from CA

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a bit of a flea problem in my house. I am needing to find something that I can use on my carpets that won't make my 18 month old son sick.

July 14, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a healthy remedy for fleas? I have an 8 month old who plays on the floor and I don't want to risk harmful chemicals with my child. Alisha in Massachussetts

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasAugust 25, 2010
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 9:08:30 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.