Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

What can I use to get rid of fleas with home remedies? I need something that will not harm my children. I have a 6 month old and a 1 1/2 year old. What should I use?

By Heather from Owosso, MI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By liz08/28/2010

You could also use diatomacious earth. It's used in pool filters and is made from the skeletons of microscopic life forms. The earth gets into the joints and kills the bug. works on any bug with an exo-skeleton. It must be reapplied if the area gets wet.

By sirmans08/27/2010

Frontline is very safe for entire family. Also give pet a good flea bath and then start them on oral flea protection; I've tried a lot of different types. The best one is "The program flea protection." I order mine online at petrx.com.

By vicki hood [4]08/25/2010

About 2 cups dry borax for each carpeted room. Spread, leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum. Carpet is the best breeding grounds for fleas. This is safe for children in the house. Crawling babies even. Use whatever safe method of killing the fleas on your pets. Residual borax will continue to kill the fleas for a year and a half. It will not harm carpet.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Does anyone have a healthy remedy for fleas? I have an 8 month old who plays on the floor and I don't want to risk harmful chemicals with my child.

Alisha in Massachusetts

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

A couple of years ago we had a flea infestation. I tried everything! To save you time and money, I highly recommend going to your vet and getting a flea elimination product called "KNOCKOUT". I sprayed this all over the carpet, furniture and anywhere they were. I did this at night because it is suppose to be safe once dry. I vacuumed every day at least 2-3 times. I did this for 3 days and there were no more fleas. After no flea activity for a couple weeks, I then shampooed my carpets. Then the little fellers were gone! Fleas are no fun and they multiply before your eyes. Also, before you go through the work of getting rid of the fleas, you need to get rid of the source. The only thing that worked for my cats was Advantage Plus. They die & don't return on the animal and it lasts for 1 month. Good Luck! (08/10/2004)

By Shiela

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Several years ago my friend used the following idea. Take a tin pie pan (from one of those pre-made pie crusts) and fill it 1/2 way with water and then add dish detergent. Place this in the middle of the floor and beside it place a desk lamp and aim the light so that it reflects into the water. The fleas are attracted to the light and jump right into the sudsy water and drown! In the morning you just pour the solution and dead critters down the drain, pick up the lamp and then there is nothing for the little tyke to get into. You will have to do this for several nights as the flea eggs hatch and new adult fleas are out and about. She said that it worked pretty good, but she had a small apartment. Hope that this works for you. (08/10/2004)

By Elizabeth Jane

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I was told by an exterminator to put moth balls in the vacuum cleaner bag once the house has been treated. This will kill the adults and any fleas that hatch later in the bag will also die. Vacuum every day 2-3 times a day and toss the bag every 3 days. Add a new moth ball every time you change the bag to keep them away. (10/20/2005)

By maria

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I'm not sure about treating the house, but I used baby shampoo on my dogs, rather than flea shampoo - cheaper, safer and it actually worked better for me.

I have also seen lots of posts regarding Dawn dish soap - and they do use that on animals in oil spills, so it must be fairly safe as well. I haven't tried that one myself, though. (10/01/2006)

By cressie

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Forget those soapy water deals when you have a little one crawling around! I have a little one, too. So I looked at my friend Ebay, and found flea traps, also called flea lamps. There are 2 styles: those that plug in and sit directly on the outlet, and those with a cord. I prefer those with a cord, as I move it toward the center of the room at night, and put it under the couch or coffee table during the day. They run on ordinary night-light bulbs, with a sticky pad to catch fleas, etc. The pad is covered with a grid-like plastic cover, and we have had no trouble teaching Gracie not to touch. The one time she did play with it, she pulled off the cover and waved it around. The fleas can not get loose from the pad, and you can get refills dirt cheap (also Ebay). I have one in every carpeted room, and we had barely any trouble this year. We still collar and neck-drop the cats, though. (08/19/2007)

By Allie

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I was looking on this website for flea remedies and someone mentioned Skin so Soft. Well I have a little one myself and was worried about poison around the house. But I tried baby oil, really. I have a medium long haired dog and it's safe to say fleas were a real problem. We took him for shots, pills, and nothing was working. After he had his hair shaved for the summer I rubbed Coco in Baby oil and they died almost instantly. It was great and is safe with children. (08/03/2008)

By scd122486

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

While I don't know the best way to get rid of a flea infestation, I am very dedicated to preventing them. I adopted a dog a year ago and was very hesitant to use the store flea and tick products. I like to research the herbal remedies to keep my pets as safe as possible. I also spoke with a holistic vet who said he never uses chemicals on his own dogs, especially because he has children around. He gave me some other alternatives and I also found a little article that lists a few helpful tips on natural ways to prevent fleas and ticks. http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Natural-Flea-and-Tick-Repellent-for-Dogs.694111 It seems to be working great and even if it isn't 100% effective, it's helped to make my dog healthier. Good luck! (05/23/2009)

By Michelle27

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

The dish washing liquid kills the fleas well, but does not kill the eggs so the fleas come back in a few days. I guess you have to wash them in it everyday. Big kitties don't like being washed! (07/08/2009)

By Donna89

Archive: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I have a bit of a flea problem in my house. I have noticed a few jumping in our carpet over the last few weeks. We had a dog, but now he is gone. I am needing to find something that I can use on my carpets that won't make my 18 month old son sick. Can anyone help me out?

By jrenaye1983 from Houston

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I keep reading about sprinkling salt on your carpets and vacuuming. I don't know how much salt is to be used, but I did sprinkle our carpeting, waited a day and then vacuumed. It seemed to have helped a bit. I guess I'll "re-do" in a week or so and see if it takes care of 'em all. Salt is cheap, but it took a lot for our home since it is totally carpeted (which I hate)! (07/16/2009)

By HalfWhit

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I used salt. I let it set for a day then vacuumed. I repeated this a few times, as I had them bad, and it worked. The fleas don't like salt. Use a lot of salt the first time and work from the walls inward to the middle of the room. Repeat it the next day and vacuum, and repeat whenever you see one of those little critters. I don't have them anymore. Do the whole house at one time as they jump from room to room. I know it's a lot of work, and it took me 6 boxes of salt, but it did the trick. (07/16/2009)

By margaret spurlock

RE: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Please do look up the toxicity of moth balls before using those. They're VERY toxic! I'd go for the salt. (07/18/2009)

By Jean and Maggie

Archive: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I have a newborn and a 4 year old. I cat sat for a friend and my cats got fleas. I don't want to use pesticides because of my kids. What can I do to get rid of them?