Child Safe Remedies for Fleas

Category Fleas
If you are struggling with fleas when you have young children, be sure to use a product that will not be toxic. This is a guide about child safe remedies for fleas.

What can I use to get rid of fleas with home remedies? I need something that will not harm my children. I have a 6 month old and a 1 1/2 year old. What should I use?

By heather amon from Owosso, MI

Answers

About 2 cups dry borax for each carpeted room. Spread, leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum. Carpet is the best breeding grounds for fleas. This is safe for children in the house. Crawling babies even. Use whatever safe method of killing the fleas on your pets. Residual borax will continue to kill the fleas for a year and a half. It will not harm carpet.

Frontline is very safe for entire family. Also give pet a good flea bath and then start them on oral flea protection; I've tried a lot of different types. The best one is "The program flea protection." I order mine online at petrx.com.

You could also use diatomacious earth. It's used in pool filters and is made from the skeletons of microscopic life forms.

The earth gets into the joints and kills the bug. works on any bug with an exo-skeleton. It must be reapplied if the area gets wet.

***DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR POOLS IS TOXIC TO YOUR PET!!!!!! ***

PLEASE USE FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH ONLY!

A small container of Food Grade diatomaceous earth can be found on amazon. However, it is much cheaper to go to a large animal feed store ( Last time I paid $20 for a 50lb bag) sprinkle it in carpet and along baseboards, let it set 2-3 days and vacuum. It will also kill spiders!

You can sprinkle it around the outside perimeter of your home as well. Just repeat when it rains :-) Deer come to visit our yard and with them come fleas. My little dog has a small fenced area outside so she can use the doggie door to do the business when I have to be out of the house. I cleaned her kennel, then covered the area with diatomaceous earth and topped it with cedar to keep her area as flea free as possible.

You can also make your own "flea catcher" to use at night. In a dark room I set a warm dish of water, added a large amount of Dawn, placed it on top of a white sheet of paper. Use a light source above it (I used an adjustable desk lamp) the heat and light from the lamp attracts them to the water! Wash your pet's bedding in hot water. If they have their own bed on the floor I recommend a cedar bed, you can make or buy a removable washable cover.

Note: You must repeat often. The life cycle of a flea from egg to adult is 21 days, and eggs can lie dormant for quite awhile.

I hope this helps!

I was unable to find a product by this name?

what is borax? how do I get it?

It comes in a box it's an ingredient used in laundry soaps you can get it at any grocery store. Wal-Mart carried it

It says on the pack - 'KEEP OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN'

Can i put on furniture?

Be sure it is food grade DE if kids drop food on the carpet then eat it. Can be found in livestock stores or online. Pool application etc. DE can have added chems and is just not safe to consume.

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
How do you get rid of fleas in your house and on your cats for under $20? Please help, I have a 3 month old.

By jennifer from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Cut up a few lemons and place in 4 cups boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to boil then cover and turn off the heat and leave to steep overnight. Strain (keeping the liquid) and put into a spray bottle, to spray on pets, especially behind ears.
Sprinkle salt and bicarb soda (baking soda) on all floors (especially carpet), bare mattresses, and fabric sofas and seats, then vacuum.

If it's really bad, bathe your cats in oil. This smothers all the fleas. The wash in a gentle dishwashing liquid to degrease.

Check your supermarket for flea treatments. Many of them last a month to a few months and protect your pets (and you) from pretty much every nasty they can get.
Hope I helped!
(06/27/2010)

By Annie

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Vacuum daily because fleas breed every two weeks. Get rid of carpet and rugs if possible or put outside until fleas are under control. Vacuum furniture and bedding and dispose of bag after use or they will breed inside the bag. Do not allow cat on bed. Shake borax in crevices of rooms, floor, cat bed, wherever fleas are seen, it will desiccate them. You can also use salt, the coarse kind is best.

Wash the cat in lemon scented dish detergent and all his bedding and toys. You will have to do this weekly due to the life cycle of the flea. Begin washing the cat at the neck to keep fleas from running to the face. Wet wash his face and physically remove fleas. Then wash the rest of him or her. Try to let soap sit on cat for 5 minutes or more to give it time to work.

If washing is a problem, use a soap-soaked microfiber cloth especially under the belly, behind the ears around the neck, base of the tail, and genitals. Put kitty in tub to minimize the mess. Use a second one to rinse. Use a big heavy towel to dry. A sham, is good for drying. Give kitty a nice treat after bath so he/she will look forward to the intrusion.

Wash floors on a regular basis and sprinkle your borax. Keep cat inside to cut down on exposure. You can put a dish of lemon soap water under a night light and fleas will be drawn to the dish and the light. Do this in several places at night.

Try to locate the source of the fleas, the nest. It is usually in the basement, or some warm undisturbed place, such as a clothes box, or storage container.

The best way is to use Frontline which is placed at the nape of the neck every 6 weeks. You use a single vial that is absorbed and then leaves no traces behind. But if you object to all chemical control you will have to fight fleas vigorously and constantly and be satisfied with less than perfect control.

In the summer keep house cool, and in winter it helps to air out so it gets really cold while you go away for a day or two as often as you can. Let me know how this worked for you and if you have any questions. (07/12/2010)

By SAT

I have a newborn and a 4 year old. I cat sat for a friend and my cats got fleas. I don't want to use pesticides because of my kids. I just had surgery and can't move things out of the house for the exterminator. What can I do to get rid of them? It's getting bad.

By kricket from CA

I have a bit of a flea problem in my house. I have noticed a few jumping in our carpet over the last few weeks. We had a dog, but now he is gone. I am needing to find something that I can use on my carpets that won't make my 18 month old son sick. Can anyone help me out?

By Jamie from Houston

Answers:

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I keep reading about sprinkling salt on your carpets and vacuuming. I don't know how much salt is to be used, but I did sprinkle our carpeting, waited a day and then vacuumed. It seemed to have helped a bit. I guess I'll "re-do" in a week or so and see if it takes care of 'em all. Salt is cheap, but it took a lot for our home since it is totally carpeted (which I hate)! (07/16/2009)

By Linda

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

I used salt. I let it set for a day then vacuumed. I repeated this a few times, as I had them bad, and it worked. The fleas don't like salt. Use a lot of salt the first time and work from the walls inward to the middle of the room. Repeat it the next day and vacuum, and repeat whenever you see one of those little critters. I don't have them anymore. Do the whole house at one time as they jump from room to room. I know it's a lot of work, and it took me 6 boxes of salt, but it did the trick. (07/16/2009)

By margaret spurlock

Child Safe Remedy for Fleas

Please do look up the toxicity of moth balls before using those. They're VERY toxic! I'd go for the salt. (07/18/2009)

By Jean Cheesman

Does anyone have a healthy remedy for fleas? I have an 8 month old who plays on the floor and I don't want to risk harmful chemicals with my child. Alisha in Massachussetts