What Type of Hydrangeas Do I Have?

Question:

I have two hydrangeas I bought from Frank's Nursery and Crafts two years ago and I cannot remember the name. Is there a hydrangea (big leaf) that begins with "Van" or "Von". I thought it was a nikko blue but the name seemed to begin with a V. Can you help?

Mary from Maryland

Answer:

Hi Mary,

I did a little research into Big Leaf hydrangea varieties starting with "Von" or "Van." I checked several books and websites, including resources from the American Hydrangea society and several nurseries that specialize in hydrangeas. I'm afraid I couldn't find any. You don't mention whether or not it has flowered yet or what the flowers look like, but I'm going to assume that they are either blue or pink. I did find some varieties of Big Leaf hydrangea that start with the letter "V." Here they are:

• 'Variegata'
  • 'Vindool' (Dooley TM)
  • 'General Vicomtesse de Vibraye'
  • 'Veitchii'
  • 'Vendomoise'
  • 'Venice' ='Venice Raven' ppaf
  • 'Vienna' ppaf
  • 'Vulcain'

Do you think it's possible that the label on your hydrangea read Var. Nikko Blue (Var. meaning variety) and your remember it as Von or Van? Hopefully someone that you know or someone that works at Frank's Nursery and Crafts also bought one and can tell you what it is. Otherwise check back with them next year. If it's a popular variety they are likely to restock it next season.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 3, 2006
Hydrangeas
Dividing Hydrangeas
Growing Hydrangeas Inside
Growing Hydrangeas Inside
Propagating Hydrangeas
Propagating Hydrangeas
Photo of a purple Hydrangea.
Changing the Color of Hydrangeas
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:53:36 AM on 10.0.2.254 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.