Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

I have a thirty amp circuit that seems to control the lighting and outlets on the attic level of my home. I also have the problem of outlets that are older and deteriorating badly, one of which came apart while being used and shorted out, but this didn't trip the breaker.

I shut off the breaker and replaced the outlet. When I re-energized the circuit the new outlet didn't work. The new outlet is 125/15amp CU only. It does not appear to be a wire going to the circuit.

Upon further inspection of the remaining outlets in the area, there are more than one that appear to not work. There are others that do work. I will attempt to replace one of these to get some kind of baseline. Do I need to call an electrician?

I am quite capable of replacing all of the outlets, but if there is no improvement I guess there is a wiring problem.

I have been researching and it seems that the thirty amp circuit controlling everything is not a good idea. I moved into the house ten years ago and it was that way then. I had the home inspected by a home inspector who didn't mention this as a problem.

By Tom

Answers

Man fixing and electrical outlet
Repairing an Electric Outlet
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalNovember 9, 2010
Electrical Outlet
Electrical Outlet Stopped Working
Plug Outlet
Getting Plugs to Stay in Outlets
GFCI Outlet
GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping
changing an outlet
Changing a 15 Amp Outlet to 20 Amps
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 1:43:10 AM on 10.0.1.142 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.