Repairing an Electric Fan

My oscillating standup fan is acting funny. When I put it on it takes awhile before it starts. I thought it was done for, but it still works. I wonder what I can do for this. Is it broken? Anyone have this issue? Thanks.

By flower51

Have you tried cleaning the fan. A little oil may be needed at the fan blades to make it turn more freely when you turn it on.

If it is the type of fan that always started gently and slowly, and not with a sudden start like a pump, then it just needs cleaning and lubricating. You may have to remove the decorative outer cover to see the oil holes in the bearing holder. Use WD40 first to flush out dirt and hardened lubricant, and run it for a while. Then follow up with sewing machine oil.

If it is the type of fan that normally starts at full speed and makes a barely audible click when it reaches near full speed, then you better let a professional work on it. It will need to have the speed sensing start-switch cleaned and/or replaced and quite possibly the start capacitor as well. While that is simple, easy and quick for a professional, an amateur would not have access to the required parts.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/blog

With the fan unplugged, remove the grill, and put a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil on the fan shaft and let it run inward toward the motor. Give the blades a spin manually and clean off any dust and gunk on the blades and motor housing. Wash the grill while it's off. Put the grill back on the fan, and plug the fan in and start it. This usually works for me. I've kept several fans going for 25 years or more with this simple maintenance.

Electric Fan
Repairing an Electric Fan
Home and Garden Repair AppliancesAugust 31, 2010
Broken Fan
Reusing a Broken Fan
Dusty Electric Fan
Cleaning an Electric Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎉
🎄