Repairing an Electric Fan

Category Miscellaneous
If your fan is not working properly, you may be able to fix it. This guide is about repairing an electric fan.

How do you remove the speed switch and oscillating control knobs on the Honeywell HS1750 fan to remove the motor housing?

Answers

I would go to yourhome.honeywell.com. They have a technical support page and even a live chat. https://yourhom … /en/products/fan

Here is a guide on taking them apart to clean:

https://www.hun … n-honeywell-fans

Anonymous

I finally got the knobs off. They were harder to remove than normal. Got it apart and into the gear box to oil the back bushing. It now runs like new. Made a friend happy. Thanks.

I finally got it repaired. The knobs were tougher to remove than I thought they should be. I needed to oil the back bushing. It now runs like new. Thank you Judy.

My oscillating standup fan is acting funny. When I put it on it takes awhile before it starts. I thought it was done for, but it still works. I wonder what I can do for this. Is it broken? Anyone have this issue? Thanks.

By flower51

Answers

Have you tried cleaning the fan. A little oil may be needed at the fan blades to make it turn more freely when you turn it on.

If it is the type of fan that always started gently and slowly, and not with a sudden start like a pump, then it just needs cleaning and lubricating. You may have to remove the decorative outer cover to see the oil holes in the bearing holder. Use WD40 first to flush out dirt and hardened lubricant, and run it for a while. Then follow up with sewing machine oil.

If it is the type of fan that normally starts at full speed and makes a barely audible click when it reaches near full speed, then you better let a professional work on it. It will need to have the speed sensing start-switch cleaned and/or replaced and quite possibly the start capacitor as well. While that is simple, easy and quick for a professional, an amateur would not have access to the required parts.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor/blog

With the fan unplugged, remove the grill, and put a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil on the fan shaft and let it run inward toward the motor. Give the blades a spin manually and clean off any dust and gunk on the blades and motor housing. Wash the grill while it's off. Put the grill back on the fan, and plug the fan in and start it. This usually works for me. I've kept several fans going for 25 years or more with this simple maintenance.

My Panasonic table fan's speed button does not work, meaning none of the speed buttons are turned on.The fan runs once the switch is turned on. What is the problem?

Answers

Anonymous

my electric fan button does not work 1 and 2 only 3 work

My fan stopped working a while back. After the cold, it started back working. Then it wouldn't turn, then my fix-it daughter sprayed WD 40 on or in it. It smelled like it was burning and stopped working. Did she make the motor burn out?

By Cynthia

Answers

I certainly couldn't say for sure, but since the thing wasn't working properly in the first place, it is not likely your daughter's fault. I think it was worn out. WD-40 doesn't harm things, in my experience.

I walked into the bedroom and my oscillating fan turned on by itself when it was totally in the off position, turned back off by itself, and then turned back on. I unplugged the fan and puzzled as why the fan did this. Could it be a problem with the outlet or a power surge?

By AM

Answers

It is possible that your remote for the fan is hidden and is touching something around it. Check when it turns on or off. You may be sitting on it.