No Mess Orange Peeling

I hate peeling oranges, the white stuff always gets stuck under my nails and then I end up smelling like oranges all day! So I recycle my bread bags or plastic zipper bags by sticking my hand in them and then peeling my oranges. Works like a dream!

By Amanda from Bloomer, WI

A friend told me years ago to drop the oranges in boiling water for just a few seconds and after checking one, to cool slightly and the peeling will come off easily. You will have to experiment to see just how long because you don't want to cook the orange. It really works!!!

I use a teaspoon with the bowl side down. Works really well.

Wow, I just LOVE orange oil for LOTS of things, when I can get it. Too bad I don't live near you? lol

It's being used as fragrance in so MANY cleaners now, I'm surprised to find someone who hates it. But, now that I think of it, I got really tired of LEMON

this and that. lol

We don't peel our oranges before eating them. I, first, wash the orange with a light dab of dish soap & warm water. Then I cut the orange vertically (from stem to bottom). Then place the cut side down onto a plate & slice horizontally into pieces. Just eat the orange insides with your teeth from the skin/rind. Toss out the rinds. No peeling and getting the rinds under your fingernails. Hubby prefers this in his lunches, too. These pieces of orange look nicely on a sliced fruit tray or these orange slices can be placed onto the edge of your plate as a garnish, or used on the edge of your water or beverage glass, anytime. Other citrus can be cut & used the same way.

The boiling water really works. I use just very hot water and let it sit for a bit longer. I was amazed that it worked so well.

I cut just barely through the peel in sections. The air will dry the rind slightly and harden up a bit. By lunch time you just pull and tug off what you need.

Added bonus - the peel is ready to use for potpourri. Just roll it up loosely and poke with a toothpick, let sit out til dried and toss it in the potpourri bowl.

There is a citrus scoring tool that is amazing. You score the skin and peel comes off so much easier.

An orange being peeled.
Peeling Oranges
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJanuary 10, 2007
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
🎉
🎄