Making Useful Items From Tree Limbs

Tree limbs can be reused in craft and garden projects. This is a guide about making useful items from tree limbs.

April 13, 2010 Flag

I've had a lot of bushes in the yard for years. I wanted to re-landscape some parts so the bushes had to go. Other trees/branches can be used as well. The limbs of this bush are very soft and can be milled into useful items to use around the house and studio. I didn't want to throw them all away, so I saved several pieces to use in later projects.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours

Instructions:

1. Select the largest branches to be used as pencil and salt and pepper holders.
  2. I have let them dry for a few months and would recommend that step to prevent severe cracking.
  3. When dry, the branch or limb can be trimmed with power tools. I used a table saw and band saw to flatten one or two sides of the limb, and to then cut it off to the size I wanted.
  4. Ad

5. Drill holes in one of the flat sides with a forstner bit, and or round drill bits of the size desired.
  6. Articles made can be stained, if wanted, and painted. It's up to you.
  7. Place in use as salt and pepper shaker holder and pen and pencil holder.
  8. Related Content(article continues below)
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Top Comment

Just thought I'd pass this on. You probably know that oleander is very poisonous. The flowers, leaves, stems, twigs, etc., eaten or the smoke from burning. I would not use oleander for craft projects or suggest to others to do so. Safety first. Yikes!! I sound like my father. :) I do like your project though. I've done something similar and really like your idea for salt and pepper holder.

Top Comment

One small branch of oleander burnt in a lounge room fireplace, killed a whole family here in Australia, I wouldn't be breathing the dust from drilling or sawing or putting pens in poisonous timber that someone might stick in their mouth, and as for kitchen ware? If a sheep chews on any part of oleander leaf or bark its tongue swells up and chokes it. The toxin doesn't leave it when it drys.

Top Comment

I don't have oleaner, I certainly thank those who warn of its poisonous qualities...horrors. I have rhododendron (mountain laurel) bushes now trees, that I want to drastically prune. Is there any harm in them?

Top Comment

Yes oleander is poisonous, so use different wood. I once used a very long straight limb from a large overgrown ligustrum as a rod to hang tab topped curtains in my livingroom. I since moved on from that look, but everyone loved the idea and some copied it.

Agree with the others here...oleander is indeed poisonous. If you used bushes from some other tree/plant, these are cool ideas, however. :-)

Don't forget that Oleanders are poisonous. Keep everything away from pets and children!

Crafts Using Tree Branches
Crafts Using Tree Branches
Crafts NatureDecember 15, 2016
A willow wreath in process.
Making a Willow Wreath
"Flower" Twig Vase
Making a Twig Flower Vase
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 6:21:40 AM on 10.0.1.114 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.