How big of a branch can I transplant?

How big of a branch can I transplant? This broke off my tree. It's about 10' high and the part at the end is about 12" in diameter.

Thanks,
Paul from Northeast Pennsylvania

You can take cuttings from the new green growth of some trees and establish new rooted plants. However, it is impossible to root a mature, woody branch of this size.

Thank you!

BUT you could dig a hole and stick it in the ground and plant morning glory vines around it..By summer you would have a huge vine covered branch. Just a thought. GG Vi

Looks as if the limb that fell off has a tree cancer which caused it to fall off. I just had a tree trimmer at my daughters house and she has an older tree that has it and he is going to trim and cut the limbs with the cancers off. Don't think this is a limb to transplant but to destroy.

Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingApril 4, 2008
Pussy Willow Plant
Starting a Pussy Willow Plant from a Branch
Grafting A Citrus Tree
Grafting a Citrus Tree
Two echinacea flowers
Dividing Perennials
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎄
🍂